Humidity Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelanova

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am the proud new owner of a 3 month old leopard tortoise I've named Tallulah Tipsy. I bought Tallulah from a local breeder in Syracuse, NY. About an hour away from where I live. As a young hatchling, I have been keeping Tallulah in a 5' x 3' garden pool with a 50/50 mixture of sterilized topsoil and sterilized play sand, with a bit of orchard bark and a bit of timothy hay. I have been feeding her endive and kale, with orchard hay. I wet the greens so that the hay will stick to it, otherwise, she won't touch the hay. My big question is about humidity, some sites say that too little humidity causes pyramiding and some say that leos can't stand too much humidity. Is there a good limit, do they need a Humid-hide? Thanks for the help.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
They do need a humid hide! I think if you're soaking once a week, and providing a humid hide, she'll self-regulate as needed!

And someone can correct me on this if I"m wrong, but I think kale is good in moderation but not as a routine food. (??) I have trouble getting our Leo yearling to eat hay, as well!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have found that younger torts do not like or eat the hay. Make sure you rotate greens, weeds, etc. regularly. I also left a response in your intro thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.