humidity question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I haven't been able to find any info on how much humidity I should have for Franklin in his enclosure... I didn't really even think of it, figured he is an AZ desert tort and well, we have almost zero humidity here except for "monsoon" season... Anyone know?
I've got his temps right and we have been feeding him daily and not letting the lil bugger sleep for days!! He's been eating really well and has been basking under his light for most of the day :) and going into his hiding spot @ night.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Hopefully some of our desert tort folks will chime-in, as I know only what I've read, have no hands-on experience.

I'm fairly certain however that they avoid extreme low humidity in their native environment.

I also tend to be concerned about animals that spend alot of time basking, usually means ambient temps are too cold.

So please do keep researching.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you see desert tortoises with bumpy shells, its usually because of poor diet, not enough heat and being kept in the house with no UVB. Humidity isn't that important with them. I have raised several desert tortoises from hatchlings on oat hay pellets (similar to alfalfa pellets), but they had good food and water, and they grew up perfectly smooth. If you think Franklin would benefit from more humidity, then you can make a humid hide for him by stuffing moist sphagnum moss in his hiding place. Because he's on indoor/outdoor carpet while his legs are strengthening, I wouldn't worry about humidity right now. Put him in a little bowl of water every day, feed him right, make sure he has either sun or a good UVB light, and Bob's your uncle!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne has much more experience with them than me, but I HAVE been able to pyramid them in the past. I just incorrectly kept them too dry all the time. I know better now. Even though its very dry in their desert range, they seek out humidity in underground burrows and wherever else they can find it. The babies are seldom out in the open in the dry air. I'm raising some new babies with a fair amount of humidity and so far so good.

Another possible solution is to provide a humid hide box and give the tort the option of choosing whatever humidity level he thinks he needs.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II

Good luck. I'm hoping for the best for you.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
Still getting used to this forum, I just realized you all replied to this question, don't know how I missed it. Thanks for the links/responses... the humidity is @ 20%. So I am wondering if this is ok?
As far as my temps go: 100 basking, 83 cool side/moss hide-out, and 88 on the warmer side/coco coir & hay hide-out.
I am assuming he goes where he needs to be... he stays w/ the same hide-out for a few days/week or so then moves on to the next.

Also~ I am wondering if I need more than one light. I have seen where a lot of enclosures have several lights... I have a 160 watt MVB, do I need to get another if my temps are right?

He is getting an 1-2 hours of AZ sunshine daily. Just wondering if the MVB is enough tho...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like your temps are fine. Most people raise DTs pretty dry as Yvonne said. I'm trying it with more humidity and moisture and its working well so far. You'll have to pick which way you want to go. Just don't let him get cold with high humidity levels.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom said:
Sounds like your temps are fine. Most people raise DTs pretty dry as Yvonne said. I'm trying it with more humidity and moisture and its working well so far. You'll have to pick which way you want to go. Just don't let him get cold with high humidity levels.

:) Thank you, Tom!!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
20% seems too low to me. I've seen different figures, but I recall reading that in the sahara desert humidity is usually around 30% just to give you an idea.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
yeah, it's been in the late 20s here in AZ...
I am thinking of making him a humid hide box or should I cover some of his enclosure to get some humidity goin on in there?

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
I made a humid hide box out of an old ice cream bucket :)
I had to switch things around a bit but I am now using the ramp since his is walking now! Woohoo :tort: Go FRANKLIN!!!
Check it out...

humidhideout030.jpg

humidhideout002.jpg

humidhideout012.jpg

humidhideout018.jpg

humidhideout021.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nicely done. His cage looks great. You could alway dampen that orchid bark if you wanted to add some humidity.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks, Tom :)
It won't mold?

Eventually~ I'll be able to build him an enclosure outside in the backyard... hopefully by next year he'll be better to stay out all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.