Howdy, y'all!

candrus

So glad to find this site, and enjoying soaking up all the great information. I am hoping to adopt a large Sulcata from the Central Texas Rescue site, and feel that with your help this will be a successful venture. We have a few acres in the Texas Hill Country with an enclosed garden spot that would require minor modifications to make a great tortoise habitat. I have never used any pesticides there, and would love to share the garden with this big fella. One concern I have is the fact that I just turned 61 and we have no children. Any thoughts on providing for an animal like this throughout its lifespan?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I have a 110lb male sulcata named Dudley, and I'm 78 years old. Thankfully there haven't been any occasions when I have to pick him up, as he goes into and comes out of his night house all on his own. My sister used to have a 100lb sulcata and she had one of these:

plastic-garden-cart-with-two-wheels-TC3089.jpg

She would tip it down in front of him and he would climb right in. She took him places (for display) and he quite enjoyed it. But she had to teach him to climb into the cart.

A full grown sulcata needs fencing that can't be pushed. For example, chain link that isn't set in cement can be pushed out by a large sulcata and he'll go right under it, no matter how tight it is to the posts. Fencing that can't be seen through is best (solid fence). Make sure the gate closes securely. If you don't want him to dig a burrow halfway to China, then you have to provide him with a place to stay cool in the summer and to warm up in the winter. Here's a link to Dudley's shed:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/dudleys-rebuild.111350/

But this isn't the only way to house them. Take a look through our Enclosure section. Also, look for Tom's (that's his username - Tom) night box threads.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place for information and fellowship when it comes to properly caring for a tortoise.

I also am over 60 and have large sulcatas. In your location, and with your land, you should be able to provide a great place for a rescue. Older sulcatas, are actually one of the easiest tortoises to take care of if you get the setup correct. Plenty of grazing, and natural weeds to feed on will provide an ideal diet. I had a setup at my last home and most of the year never had to feed the tortoises at all as they were able to graze and browse weeds for all the food they needed. You will want to construct a good night box for him to adopt as his 'burrow'. That, will allow the tortoise a great place to escape the cooler nights and cold winter days, which is needed. It should take very little effort to 'train' the tortoise to use that and will very quickly go into that by himself every evening or when the conditions cause it to want to get back in it's 'burrow'. Perhaps starting with one 50-75 lb as a max so is still of a size you can more easily manage to get on one of those garden carts and move around as needed until it starts using the night box on its own. Read @Tom 's night box thread for great ideas for that.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

BILBO-03

Hi and Welcome!:)
It's nice of you to rescue a Sucalta a lot need rescued !

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi and Welcome!:)
It's nice of you to rescue a Sucalta a lot need rescued !
Yvonne don't just rescue turtles and torts ! She had to rescue me once ! A member didn't like my post and said so ! And Yvonne had to put my post in words they could understand . She's a great lady ! But don't tell her I said so !

candrus

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Dudley is a lucky dude! I can see that there are many large tortoises in need of homes, and look forward to adopting one. In addition to some large carts, I have a hunky husband and his friends, so hopefully will not have to struggle too much getting my guy - or gal - around. Yvonne, you are an inspiration and a long-lived one at that! You all have some great ideas for shelters posted, and I look forward to getting started on mine as soon as I am back home next week. I am finishing up a job along the Texas coast, and will be heading back to the Hill Country next week for good.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

5 Year Member
Pflugerville, Texas
So glad to find this site, and enjoying soaking up all the great information. I am hoping to adopt a large Sulcata from the Central Texas Rescue site, and feel that with your help this will be a successful venture. We have a few acres in the Texas Hill Country with an enclosed garden spot that would require minor modifications to make a great tortoise habitat. I have never used any pesticides there, and would love to share the garden with this big fella. One concern I have is the fact that I just turned 61 and we have no children. Any thoughts on providing for an animal like this throughout its lifespan?

I too am rescuing from Central Texas Rescue. I am 51 and recently retired. I have a son who plans to be a vet and has already promised to take care of my tortoise when I die. Maybe you and I can exchange contact info and he can be your later life tortoise adopter as well. He loves our critters. So glad you rescued and that you are near me.