How to keep shell growth even?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
So I've seen several pictures of Russians over the past month or so and seen some with very large light colored rings around the edge of the shell. Here's pictures of what I'm talking about:
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364970377.523169.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364970389.482773.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364970404.801763.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364970418.034753.jpg
And extreme: ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364970431.324976.jpg

*These are all results of a basic yahoo search and none of these photos are mine.

My questions to anyone with Russian experience are:
What causes this ring? Is it normal? I have never seen it on other species of tortoises. Is this preventable? If so, how?

My hatchling is starting to grow a ring as well. And appears to be growing almost too fast? I thought slow and steady is ideal? Ill post pics tomorrow when he is awake.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Except in the case of that last picture, it's all normal growth. Tortoises can and do grow at different rates. As long as your husbandry is good, it shouldn't be a problem.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Steve_McQueen said:
Except in the case of that last picture, it's all normal growth. Tortoises can and do grow at different rates. As long as your husbandry is good, it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree completely, that last one looks horrible, poor thing. The idea generally is slow and steady, but some tortoises do grow pretty quickly. What do your night time temps get down to? Are you giving any protein heavy food? Too much protein and too high of night time temps can cause an increase in the growth rate.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Until the weeds and flowers are grown he is eating kale, mustard greens, collard greens, endive, chard, and spring mix on a rotation. He gets mazuri/zoomed grassland pellets once or twice a week depending on if he appears to need more fiber or not and if I have the time to hand feed him it because he won't eat it plain yet. He gets TNT twice a week and calcium powder 3 times. He also occasionally nibbles on his hay.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
SmileyKylie623 said:
Until the weeds and flowers are grown he is eating kale, mustard greens, collard greens, endive, chard, and spring mix on a rotation. He gets mazuri/zoomed grassland pellets once or twice a week depending on if he appears to need more fiber or not and if I have the time to hand feed him it because he won't eat it plain yet. He gets TNT twice a week and calcium powder 3 times. He also occasionally nibbles on his hay.

With this diet (especially when the weeds grow in) and plenty of sunshine and exercise, your Russian will grow beautifully. :)

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Oh and night time temp is usually 68 F. I have no idea on how to make it cooler in there. Humidity is at about 45-50% during the middle of the day and 55% in the mornings and at night. Here's a picture:
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365039120.568789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365039174.163390.jpg
He is due to be measured and weighed on Saturday I think (i write it down every two weeks) but it is definitely clear to me that he has grown since 2 Saturdays ago. I'm afraid it's too fast :/

mctlong said:
SmileyKylie623 said:

With this diet (especially when the weeds grow in) and plenty of sunshine and exercise, your Russian will grow beautifully. :)

Thank you!! Good to hear! I don't know what I'd do if I had never found this place! I've learned so much over the past few weeks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
I forgot to add that the little dude has a Sage (I Think) plant in his outdoor enclosure that he nibbles on, an agave, and an aloe plant. As of now the agave and aloe are not available because I am still giving them time since I replanted them in organic soil.

I measured him again today.
On 3/20 he was 41 grams and 2 inches vertically (not sure if there is a technical name)
Today, 4/3 and two weeks later, he is 2 1/2 inches vertically and horizontally and 45 grams!!!

I am keeping a chart in which I keep track of all of this along with pictures so that I can document it in the future to have something to compare future tortoises too and for others to compare too.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Someone had traced their tortoise on paper with their weights and measurements, which seemed like a pretty neat idea... If you're looking for another interesting, visual way to keep track of its growth.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I agree completely with Shelly! I would try and find a way to drop the temperature a little more at night though.

Status
Not open for further replies.