How to keep fresh produce for longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I can't grow all of my torts food so I buy some of the produce. I just feel like I'm throwing half of it away because it goes bad. Any tips for keeping it fresh longer?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I wash mine wrap in a damp paper towel put it in a zip lock bag. But don't close it all the way. Put it in the crisper. Mine lasts for weeks.

crussellii

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Mjdeisher said:
I can't grow all of my torts food so I buy some of the produce. I just feel like I'm throwing half of it away because it goes bad. Any tips for keeping it fresh longer?

Don't buy so much. I buy one thing at a time. Then rotate each purchase.

EKLC

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
I wash mine wrap in a damp paper towel put it in a zip lock bag. But don't close it all the way. Put it in the crisper. Mine lasts for weeks.

This is an awesome method, paper towel keeps it from rotting, plastic bag keeps it crisp

I like to roll out a 2 foot sheet of paper towel, spread the greens evenly over it, and roll it all up like a jelly roll

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
EKLC said:
This is an awesome method, paper towel keeps it from rotting, plastic bag keeps it crisp

I like to roll out a 2 foot sheet of paper towel, spread the greens evenly over it, and roll it all up like a jelly roll

AWESOME! I am gonna try that!

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
crussellii said:
Don't buy so much. I buy one thing at a time. Then rotate each purchase.

I only buy one thing but having a sick hatchling, he doesn't eat much. So even the one package goes bad before he eats it all.

mainey34 said:

I will have to try that! Mine is only lasting about a week. I don't mind spending the money, just don't like being so wasteful...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What I have tried:

1. Wash greens in cold water, add a capful of vinegar if they are a bit wilted. Spin dry, roll in paper towels, store in zip-lock. Works for about 2 weeks. Takes a moderate amount of effort.

2. Replace the towel and bag with a modified shoebox- take one and melt holes all over it, then place some spacers on the bottom (something like non-skid mesh shelf liner). Set box on something to catch draining water (I used another lid). Same basic results, a little less work.

3. Sew yourself a bag of cheap kitchen towels and add a drawstring. Wash lettuce and store in the bag wet- the bag must stay damp- if it dries out, moisten it a little. Make 2 bags so you can use one and wash the other. Lasts about 2 weeks, easiest method so far.

4. Use everything up, either for the family as salads, etc., or with a larger group of torts. Easiest of them all!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glass works better then plastic for longer life. I have found anyway. I also found not washing before storing but just before using also works best. Unless of course you shake or spin most of the water off.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
mainey34 said:

I use this method also. Only difference is that I store mine in "green" bags. Lasts a long time as long as the paper towel is not too wet.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I put mine in a plastic mixing bowl, fill with cold water, submerge, then put it in the fridge, lasts around 6 days :)

It may be longer, but the rate my two eat I don't see it for long ;)

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
so what you're all saying is that o need another tort!? Haha, i wish! Gotta get this little guy healthy first!

Status
Not open for further replies.