How often to feed yearling sulcata

Aaron23

5 Year Member
I've heard different things about feeding my yearling sulcata Zeus. Some people say feed them 2 or 3 times per week for slow and steady growth. Others say have food for them everyday. Just want to hear your thoughts.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Aaron23 the slow grow, low food amount sounds like you have been reading/getting outdated info. Most books and people proposed that along with other methods that have since been proven incorrect. If you haven't had a chance, please take the time to read through the posts "pinned" to the top of the species specific section for African - Sulcata tortoises. Especially starting with "How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata or Leopard" http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, I agree to feed every day. These guys are grazers, they eat - wander about - eat - stroll - nap - soak - eat some more - go for a stroll, graze on some grass, then some weeds, ogh, then some mazuri....And start all over.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I remember being told that my sulcata was growing too fast and I shouldn't be feeding him as often! There was a lot of wrong information available back then. One of the reasons that rumor got started was because people were feeding the wrong kinds of foods. If you give them what is good for them, then they should get as much as they want. I don't feed Charlie, except for occasional treats. He has access to 1/4 acre of grass, weeds and plants everyday. He can feed himself whenever he wants. He is 17 1/2 with a mostly smooth shell, so free feeding him all these years hasn't done him any harm.

Bee62

Germany
Markw84 said:
@Aaron23 the slow grow, low food amount sounds like you have been reading/getting outdated info. Most books and people proposed that along with other methods that have since been proven incorrect. If you haven't had a chance, please take the time to read through the posts "pinned" to the top of the species specific section for African - Sulcata tortoises. Especially starting with "How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata or Leopard" http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

These outdated infos last in German tortoise forums as well. I have been told there to feed my baby sulcatas mostly hay. Not so much greens because they will grow to fast ! Arrrrgh !!!
There is so much on false informations and because of this young tortoises must die !
I am glad that I have found this forum ! My baby sulcatas are allowed to eat as much as they want every day. And I am sure that one day when they are big they will eat hay. But not yet.