how often to change bedding???

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik77

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Puente ,Ca
we were wondering how often should we should change the cypress mulch bedding in our torts tub???and is coconut husk okay to use for bedding???

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I rarely completely change out the bedding, no matter what it is. I spot-clean every few days (probably should do so more often), and maybe every several months, if I decide the enclosure needs an overhaul, I'll change everything out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use coconut coir. I spot clean all the time. I have had my leopard for a year this past May. I totally changed it once, so far. Now he is outside during the day, so there isn't much to clean during the summer/warm days, mostly winters. Co nut coir keeps moisture very well for humidity and won't mold, if you keep up with the spot cleaning.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I've used coconut coir, but it kills earthworms and I kind of like to have those in the enclosure with the torts. I only do a complete change of bedding if I have a use for the old bedding in my garden. I've been using a blend of cypress mulch, coir, and organic potting soil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My best answer to this is "as needed". There are many factors to consider. I soak babies daily and they usually poop in their soak water, so there is really no need for me to change the bedding. I just spot clean most of the time.

erik77

5 Year Member
La Puente ,Ca
hmmm...where can i find some coconut coir???im looking on line and it looks like i can get it at a hydropnics store???

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Coconut coir is sold at Petco and other pet stores and also at gardening centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.