How often should turtles bask?

riley_bla41000

I've noticed 2 days ago that my yellow bellied slider baby was basking more than usual, he basked for about 5 hours until I turned off the lamp, could he be sick? He's going through a shed right now, could that have anything to do with it? Is the lamp to close or too far? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421609246.646442.jpg

(Before you fuss about them being in a ten gallon, we got him from my cousin at 1200 at night and We were limited on money, they'll be moving into a bigger tank soon)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Actually, for the size of the turtles, the tank is quite ok for now. What is your water temperature?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
If you have a heater you might wanna increase the temps to 80F. Babies need warmer temps. And also the lamp I feel is too far away, unless you got with the high watts. Because it might be too cold for your baby and he basks longer trying to get the heat.

riley_bla41000

If you have a heater you might wanna increase the temps to 80F. Babies need warmer temps. And also the lamp I feel is too far away, unless you got with the high watts. Because it might be too cold for your baby and he basks longer trying to get the heat.

I don't have a heater but I can get one and I'll see how they do with the lamp closer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sliders love to bask. If you have a heat/light source they will bask as long as it is warm. It is not uusual to see my sliders basking all day long, as long as the sun is outm of course. :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Mine bask many hours a day but you should have a heater in the water.
The tanks good! The light too low to the water could be too hot for good basking.