How much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty

5 Year Member
How much money should I pay for a Russian tort? Some places I think are trying to scam me.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
There are places that charge ridiculous prices I agree with you! Whatever you do, don't pay $200 or over. I know there are places that charge that.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Snapper925 said:
I believe I've seen them at Petco for$70

If you can find one at petco for $70 more power to you. Just be knowledgeable because if you have questions or want to know if the tort is truely in good shape, the people at petco won't be able to help you. If you know your stuff then no problem!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Low price does not always equal a good tortoise, I would say around 100 dollars is about average.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I agree 100 dollars is average

Torty

5 Year Member
I see one for $50. Do you think this means it is an unhealthy tort.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No a low price also does not equal unhealthy, the person may just be desperate to get rid of it.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Lots of people "rehome" them on Craigslist for very low cost. Mostly they want them to go to a new home and are hoping to recoup some of their expenses or charging a nominal fee to ensure interest and commitment. It doesn't necessarily mean they are unhealthy. We got ours from someone on Craigslist and paid much much less than a pet or reptile specialty store. Obviously buyer beware.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This depends on what you are getting. Sure the chain store ones are cheaper. They are also stressed, poorly cared for, likely full of parasites and often in bad shape. Most people end up spending a lot of money on vet bills because they bring one of these home, fall in love with it and will pay anything to "make it better". If a person would just spend a little more for a well started, well cared for captive bred russian, they could have a very rewarding positive experience with no vet bills, no angst and no heartbreak...

I have seen CB babies for as low as $60, but they are normally around $100. I don't think $150 is unreasonable for a well started babies or yearling that has been cared for, sunned and fed a wide variety of good foods.

The way I look at it is this: What is it worth to NOT have a bunch of hassles and a sickly tortoise?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I got mine for free off of craigslist. The previous owner just wanted to know that she was going to a good home. We actually got both of our tortoises free (if you don't count the enclosures and vet bills).

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
CL can be a good place to get a tortoise, depending on their care. The price range can vary.
If the tort looks healthy in pics, it may be worth looking at.
No matter where you get a tort, you always have to be prepared to take them to a vet, just in case.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I did get all three of my adult Russians at pet stores. They are all doing very well and all but one was under $100. The only reason I bought them from the pet store was they looked so pathetic in the small containers eating tomatoes and iceberg lettuce. I don't think I would ever buy from a pet store again, even though they are all doing well. (I have had these for several years now) I agree with Tom, better to know where your tortoise is coming from and how well they are taken care of :)

tortoiselover+breeder1234

5 Year Member
I bought my Russian for £90.00, and he's turned out perfect!!!! So, I would say
90-120. Don't pay too much more or less than that.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Try Craigslist first. There are always Russian tortoises available in most areas on there. Price varies based on what the seller is trying to get rid of with the tortoise, i.e.-lighting, housing, etc... I've gotten a really nice mature adult pair for free and I've paid as much as $75 for a young female on Craigslist. There are always plenty of males on there since they are the more commonly imported gender and much more common in the big pet shop chain stores.
Basically (and unfortunately) wild caught Russian tortoises are everywhere for sale. If you look around long enough you can find really good prices on them. Males usually sell for as little as $35 each up to $100 each. Small females for $45-120 each and larger (over 6") females for as low as $90 up to $150 each. It all depends upon the source.
The disadvantage of buying online is that you're going to pay $40-70 more in shipping and you cannot see the animal in person to inspect it before you purchase. Buying from someone that is well known in the tortoise community to have a good reputation is a major plus.
Buying locally you may pay a little more but you can physically see and inspect the animal that you are purchasing.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I got my Russian for $70 at petco. Whoever said upthread they might be sick, the torts were actually in great condition. Worms, but they had plenty of room and lots of greens to eat, plus appropriate lighting and temperatures.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Talka said:
I got my Russian for $70 at petco. Whoever said upthread they might be sick, the torts were actually in great condition. Worms, but they had plenty of room and lots of greens to eat, plus appropriate lighting and temperatures.

You must have a pretty nice petco. The petco and petsmart here are terrible! My torts have never been sick, but they had extremely small living conditions for adults. A 20 gallon tank, if that. My friends bought me a Greek tortoise as a present from there once. They had to keep the tortoise for a few days before giving him to me and didn't know how to take care of him. The staff there said to feed him tomatoes and iceberg lettuce :(

PS95

5 Year Member
I purchased Boris and Natosha at a Petco five years ago. They cost $79 each. Both were very active and seemed well cared for. They have both grown tremendously since that time. They still seem very healthy and active. So far, knock on wood, I have not had to take them to a vet, so vet bills!

Status
Not open for further replies.