How much should I buy food-wise when I get my russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonShell

5 Year Member
In a few more weeks my little guy so I'm trying to iron out the kinks.

So when I go to the grocery store or the market and see his foods. How much should I purchase if I do a weekly grocery shopping?

jhigh81

5 Year Member
I usually purchase one bag of spring mix as his staple food, and then add on something different this week. This week I got kale, next week it might be collard greens, ect. That will last me a week. I don't know how you are getting him, but keep in mind when they change enviroments they can be slow to eat. That isn't always the case but mine didn't eat for 3 weeks when I got him. Now he is a piggie and doesn't stop eating!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
How big is your russian going to be? If its a baby then not much at all. If its an adult you may need a lot! :D

pandiculator

5 Year Member
A "bag" or so of a mix, plus some dandelion leaves from out in the yard, seems to last about a week for Da Vinci.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
If you can eat the greens too, that will help. I am not a greens eater, so wouldn't work for me. :D If it's a hatchling, then I would myself buy a small container of the spring mix type greens, as it has a variety within it. If it is older, then buy one bunch at a time of whatever green you may wish for the current feeding.

Your going to be reading a lot about "feeding a variety". While that may make you think you need to each meal, create a wonderful plate filled with as many different things as possible, that's not what we mean. A variety can be simply this time you buy turnip greens. When those are all eaten, you might get a bunch of collard greens, then next time maybe some endive. It's a variety over a long time. OF course, that also does not mean you can feed only one item at a time, if you have more choices to choose from, all the better! :D

Now also think and watch for weeds or plants you could also feed, especially now until frost kills them. Like do you have a grape vine? Feed those leaves. Or a mulberry tree? A safe yard? Have any dandelions, clover, plantain for example out there? Feed that. What, you have a hibiscus plant? They love those blooms. How about growing a cactus plant? Right now, it may seem complicated, but as you go on, it gets easier and you will spot food sources all around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.