How long could a sulcata survive in the wild in SoCal?

Ellie Mae

Regarding the 50 lb. Sulcata that was found in my neighborhood; there is someone who is insisting that it is theirs that they lost when he was "little" 10 years ago. They don't have pictures of course and I doubt that it is theirs, but just curious, think it would be possible for a tortoise to "go native" in So Cal and survive 10 years?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Regarding the 50 lb. Sulcata that was found in my neighborhood; there is someone who is insisting that it is theirs that they lost when he was "little" 10 years ago. They don't have pictures of course and I doubt that it is theirs, but just curious, think it would be possible for a tortoise to "go native" in So Cal and survive 10 years?

No. Not without a source of heat over winter. Even down in a burrow it is too cold here in our temperate winters. They can sometimes survive in Phoenix with no heat all winter, but not here in most cases. I've heard of some surviving for a winter or two, but they eventually die from the cold.

Ellie Mae

Thank you, I seriously doubted that it was theirs but it helps to have your expert opinion.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
I doubt it's their tortoise, but I don't see any reason why a large Sulcata couldn't survive in, say, Whittier. Check out http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USCA1239 & you'll see that if it burrowed when it got cold, it would do just fine. Just because we're watching them doesn't mean they can't do okay on their own. After 100 million years or so, they're pretty darn hardy!

Ken

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I can see a bigger one living a few years. A cold winter though could kill a sulcata. I rescued one that lived outdoors 5years ish no heat hide or anything and it survicrd. He had a burrow but that's about it . I mean oir winters are mild and the past few years warmer then normal. I would say plausible not likely

Kyle

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
So now I'm kind of wondering how far south in north america do you go until you reach a place where a sulcata could live outside comfortably year round? Mexico? South america?
(Sorry if this is too off topic)

Ellie Mae

In addition to weather, I was also wondering about a small one surviving predators such as coyotes, dogs, etc.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In addition to weather, I was also wondering about a small one surviving predators such as coyotes, dogs, etc.
desert tortoise hatchlings survive those predators.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I know people here in AZ who leave their large Sullies outside 24/7/365 with no heat,etc and they do fine. Granted, the tortoises have grown up outside and have a very large network of burrows

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, I'm voting for yes. Here's my story:

As you all know, I rescue turtles and tortoises. A few years ago I got a phone call from a gal who found a tortoise. When I went to pick it up she told me that the tortoise came from her neighbor's back yard. The house next door had been vacant for three years. The back yard is totally fenced - with GOOD fence - and no escape areas...no holes under, around or through. So a tortoise found in that back yard had to have been there for over 3 years, ever since the people vacated the house.

Our weather here in the winter averages 40/30 (day/night), with the occasional dip down into the 20's at night (fahrenheit). And guess what, folks...this was a small, softball-sized sulcata.

I'm not saying this was a healthy way for the sulcata to have lived for three winters, but it can (and I'll bet it does) happen.

Uneducated people are releasing their tortoises into the desert all the time. One school of thought was that the mycoplasma infecting and killing the desert tortoises came from released exotic tortoises. Constrictors coming from warm climates get along just fine in Florida and they sometimes have pretty cold nights there.

So, yes, a hardy, healthy sulcata tortoise can live and grow in some areas of SoCal.