How hard should the shell be?

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
So my Sulcata is about 2.5 months old now. I got him when he was 10 days old and his shell is solid, but if you apply any pressure you can feel it flex. Don't get me wrong I'm not squeezing him or anything. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the shell wouldn't be completely hard until he matures more. I just want to clarify if he should have a shell that is completely solid or is this normal? I use a 10.0 UVB fluorescent tube, supplement with Miner-All, humidity is anywhere from 99% to 78%, temps range from 79-92ish with a basking area of 98-102. He is fed primarily grass mix from sulcatafood.com and cactus pads he also gets kale now and then as a treat. He eats like crazy and has been gaining weight quickly, at least to me it's quick. In the past two weeks he's gained 10 grams. So is this normal? Just a part of the process or is there an issue to be resolved here?

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
wellington said:
The top shell should be hard, the bottom shell usually is slightly moveable.

The top is hard is just seems to flex i guess i don't really know how to explain it. It's not soft.

If this is an issue are there any suggestions on how to correct it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is so hard to know how much is normal in just trying to describe it. Your diet, temps and humidity all sounds good. If you can get him outside for some natural sun light, that would help a lot, if it were a problem.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
I try to get him out 4 or 5 hours a week but with the weather changing drastically every day its tough. Its not soft like on the too its mainly the sides just flex but yeah its just hard to explain