how do I make his enclosure more interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
Om seems happy with his enclosure but I want to make it more interesting.
I was thinking of adding hills but I dont know how to create them, also I'd appreciate any other ideas people have!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Usally your set-up should be focused around " whats best for your species of tort" and then go from there. How about helping us out and telling us about your tortoise and the type of enclosure you have already built......

JD~:)

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
Hey,
I have a little Russian. He's in a large indoors enclosure with soil/sand substrate. He has.two dangling plants from the walls which he digs under.sometimes, and a wooden arch which he's.started climbing on top of. I'm just trying to.figure put what else other than his.food and water bowl I can give him.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok ... I'm no expert on Russians ....but a couple of things. Your intentions are super and your on the right track . The hiding spots and "safe" type plants are super. Maybe incorporate a cave that can provide hiding for your tort, but also allow some natural viewing
( sort of a “T” shape ) The “hills” you wish maybe you want some “ dimension to the enclosure ” and I completely understand. But in actuality tortoises don’t “ climb” … so ya can toss the bridge toy. Try and stay natural , and also remember the more stuff you have in there , when time to clean is a pain in the *** to move and sanitize as well . You never did mention how big your set up is ?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I've read that there are some that place balls in the enclosure, kinda like a horse ball but smaller.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
I've read that there are some that place balls in the enclosure, kinda like a horse ball but smaller.

How about a half court, with a 3- point line......? :p

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
The ball sounds kind of crazy. The.bridge toy is actually a hollowed wooden log arch.thing I put in there.to.be.his cave, but he seems more.interested in sitting on top.of it, I was quite shocked as its quite a.climb!
His enclosure is one of those large plastic indoor rabbit/guinea pig hutches and Om is.only 3 inches so.its huge.for.him at.the.moment.

To add to the previous post, here's the evidence of Om's climbing!
I couldn't believe it, although I don't think he did either, he seems to be doing it alot now he's figured out how to do it...it's the getting back down he has a slight issue with, it involves sliding down the side and banging his head on the floor...

Attachments

• IMG_20111218_135412.jpg
    IMG_20111218_135412.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 51

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ratchet99 said:
The ball sounds kind of crazy. The.bridge toy is actually a hollowed wooden log arch.thing I put in there.to.be.his cave, but he seems more.interested in sitting on top.of it, I was quite shocked as its quite a.climb!
His enclosure is one of those large plastic indoor rabbit/guinea pig hutches and Om is.only 3 inches so.its huge.for.him at.the.moment.

I've read this a 1,000 times and no offense , the reason you see him " climb" is because he wants out of the glass/plastic jail! They know their in an enclosed environment and usally one with no top ....hence the climb upwards to freedom!....In large open field with logs and rocks .. torts will tumble over these objects to get to food or their next hiding spot, but very rarely show an urge to climb upwards and just sit there. Even when basking most will choose a flat hot spot ' .... not far from their days hiding spot. Also I've mentioned this before any animal that is kept in a square or rectangled enclosure..... will learn the boundries much faster then if there were curves incorporated within the enclosure ( not the ideal for space or construction design) ..thus adding stress to the animal and the wanting to escape...
Try using some natural stone , light weight lava rock works well and dosnt add much weight to the set up. You can find this at a local rock/supply yard. Also you can drill easy and add bromiliads,succulants,spanish moss.... ect .....
Happy Building ~

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
Thanks, ill try rocks tomake it a little different. There must be.lots of.frustrated.torts out.there.if they get.fed up of squares and rectangles and open tops caus I seem to see.that.alot.
Space is an issue at thee.moment as.my.partner and.I.are.sharing a.flat with.others so_Om has.to.live in our.room out the way.till we can get.our own place.
Thanks.for.the.rock.idea, will see what I can pull.off!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm going to differ from JD a bit- many tortoises come from rather hilly locations, and some have been reported to do better when kept in a habitat that is not flat. I do not recall where I found it, but I saw a report somewhere that the breeding rate for some species increased when kept in a hillier habitat.

You can do a lot to make the habitat more interesting, although it may mean moving to a different enclosure to get more room.

A moist root hide would create both a great hide, as well as a planted hill to climb on, explore, and graze on (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/shelter-hides about 1/2 way down)

More plants, a secondary hide or 'snuggle place' (perhaps a chunk of bark), a shallow tray of something different to walk on (like pebbles too big to easily eat), etc.

There is also an article on 'enrichments' in the library that might help- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/enrichments

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I agree Mark .....but I belive she is talking about no less than 4 SQF.
I for sure would make mounds and hills if outside ......:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I too have to chime in on tortoise rock scalers and face plants...:D. I have 4 male CDTs...all of which are avid climbers....and they are not trying to escape :D

I have one guy who will climb anything at least a couple times ...when he was in my office when I worked at a park...he would climb my printer every day several times...the printer say directly next to the open door out to the patio....not trying to escape just simply climbs....he would also try to climb from the printer onto my chair (which he did) and then from my chair to the desk top....(which he was never able to accomplish due to swivel chair).....two of my tortoise yards have a dirt hill that is part of their hide and they will climb their hill everyday at different times of the say and rest their for long periods of time....

Even my old man Humphry enjoys climbing.....HOWEVER...I know his is a wandering spirit motivation......he is always convinced that there are goodies everywhere and he must consume them all...lol

You can pile dirt around each side of his log to serve as a hill and the slope will be a bit safer so no roll overs....or at least less of a chance.....IMHO

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
I'm glad Om isnt the only.one! Its very.cute but I have been.worried about.roll overs so I might.make a ramp to try and stop.that happening! Thanks.for the idea!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I've seen rock climbing Indians with ma' own eyes too~ :p
STarCL2.jpg
STARCL4.jpg

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.