How big?!

Waffles_mom

Location (City and/or State)
Barrie, Ontario
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in so long because I do most of my chatting through Waffles' Facebook page. Just scrolling through some posts with people asking about size and how long it takes for sulcatas to get big. I just thought I would post a pic of my baby boy, Waffles. He is 3 and a half years old and weights 41 lbs. Yup. He's a monster. There is no standard for how fast a tort will grow. Another friend has a tort who was bought at the same time as Waffles and only weighs around 5 lbs. My advice is never assume they will stay small for an extended period of time. Always plan ahead for the next growth spurt and what you will do when they get full size.

Attachments

• 1475728092045.jpg
    1475728092045.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 85

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in so long because I do most of my chatting through Waffles' Facebook page. Just scrolling through some posts with people asking about size and how long it takes for sulcatas to get big. I just thought I would post a pic of my baby boy, Waffles. He is 3 and a half years old and weights 41 lbs. Yup. He's a monster. There is no standard for how fast a tort will grow. Another friend has a tort who was bought at the same time as Waffles and only weighs around 5 lbs. My advice is never assume they will stay small for an extended period of time. Always plan ahead for the next growth spurt and what you will do when they get full size.

An interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

And welcome to the forum!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
They definitely don't have a normal growth rate! I need to look back at the stats that I wrote down as Dexter grew up.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
That's real good advice ! Like the saying goes "Go big , or go home !"
m0114.gif

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Sulcatas are bulldozers with brains! The one we rescued last week weighed 67 pounds, & was putting holes in the donor's walls. She couldn't understand why it refused to behave, even when she fed it, but she wasn't smart enough to put it outside in her yard.... That's why my rescue facility gets so many of them.

Ken

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Sulcatas are bulldozers with brains! The one we rescued last week weighed 67 pounds, & was putting holes in the donor's walls. She couldn't understand why it refused to behave, even when she fed it, but she wasn't smart enough to put it outside in her yard.... That's why my rescue facility gets so many of them.

Ken
She kept a 67 pound sulcata indoors? Why? I totally agree they are bulldozers! It never occurs to them to take the easy path around something when they can just go through it.

Waffles_mom

Barrie, Ontario
Waffles lives inside but we live in Canada. He has a large pen that is made for him. Allowing him to free roam is a terrible idea though.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Waffles lives inside but we live in Canada. He has a large pen that is made for him. Allowing him to free roam is a terrible idea though.
I love your profile picture!

The 67 pound tortoise that was rescued was in Hawaii - there seems to be no excuse for keeping indoors! I admire you for the challenge of keeping a large tortoise in your climate. One of the reasons we won't move is because it would be hard on Charlie.

Waffles_mom

Barrie, Ontario
I admire you for the challenge of keeping a large tortoise in your climate. One of the reasons we won't move is because it would be hard on Charlie.

I find Waffles is very much a routine tortoise. He likes to do the same things each day. He likes to sleep in the same spot, bask in the same spot, poop in the same spot and knowing all these habits make it much easier to have an indoor tort. He has a huge pen with walking access to the yard in the summer and just basks and sleeps during the winter. It's kind of spoiled him too since he would rather stay inside on very hot days and he won't sleep outside either.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
She kept a 67 pound sulcata indoors? Why?

As far as we can figure, her recently-deceased father kept the tortoise indoors, so she thought she should, too. But he lived in a brick house, while hers is wood.... Just from what I saw, she probably has several thousand dollars of damage to her walls & doors, & wanted to give me money to take the poor, frustrated Sulcata. That's one good reason why we run our rescue facility.

Ken

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
As far as we can figure, her recently-deceased father kept the tortoise indoors, so she thought she should, too. But he lived in a brick house, while hers is wood.... Just from what I saw, she probably has several thousand dollars of damage to her walls & doors, & wanted to give me money to take the poor, frustrated Sulcata. That's one good reason why we run our rescue facility.

Ken
I can't imagine having to clean up the messes! One of the best pet decisions I ever made was to move my pet rabbit outside. He was happier having the yard to romp around in, and it was safer for him and cleaner for us. He was just a little guy but he caused quite of bit of damage to cords and carpets, so I can imagine the damage caused by a sulcata indoors. Ours cost us plenty to fill in his burrow before our house collapsed!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I can't imagine having to clean up the messes! One of the best pet decisions I ever made was to move my pet rabbit outside. He was happier having the yard to romp around in, and it was safer for him and cleaner for us. He was just a little guy but he caused quite of bit of damage to cords and carpets, so I can imagine the damage caused by a sulcata indoors. Ours cost us plenty to fill in his burrow before our house collapsed!
I wish I could convince my girlfriend to move her rabbit outside.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Sorry for the thread-jack, but if your rabbit is misbehaving, definitely get it neutered/spayed.

#1 reason for both health and behavior problems with house rabbits is intact reproductive organs.

Our holland lop is totally house trained (litter box) and has almost free roam. He is very well behaved and social. He is crated at night, and goes in willingly, right at 10:00 P.M. They love routine!