Horsefield Tortoise- what conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxy25

5 Year Member
Hiya all i keep being given conflicting stories on what is best for my 3 year old male horsefield. He is indoors in a table top. does he need to be outside, does he need to hibernate and what substrate do you use. He as 60/40 ssoil/sand at the moment which i dampen daily.

If you have any more information as regards to caring for my horsefield (named Roman) i wold be so grateful. He is lively, loves being bathed, loves wandering around my lounge and loves carrots. He seems perfectly fine, healthy and happy but i want to know i am doing everything correct.

Thanks everyone

Danielle & Roman xxx

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Most of the things you are doing sound find, the substrate is good and so is the humidity, not too much but just enough so that Roman can dig.

Torts should be outside in an ideal world but not every one has an ideal world,A table top will do if its big enough or even a very large rabbit cage...

For a 3 year old i would say you need about 6" of substrate.
Also do not let him wander around the inside of the house, there are so many things that can harm him, like hairs that can get in the gut and block it or gets twisted inside, Electrical cables because of the obvious.

If you have garden then let him go out in the sunshine.

You did not mention if you had heating or UVA/B lighting, or if you give calcium.

Carrots are ok in small quantities mixed in with his main diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Danielle:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Check out this website if you haven't already: www.russiantortoise.org

No, he doesn't need to be outdoors, as long as his care requirements are met indoors. But would being outdoors for part or all of the year (depending upon your climate) be beneficial to him-most likely. It would allow for contact with natural, unfiltered sunlight, in most cases more room to roam "act" natural. But when outdoors safety and security should always be the main concerns.

No, he doesn't need to hibernate to remain healthy and survive. But Russian tortoises are a species who do so in nature and are very capable of doing so in captivity, again provided that conditions are correct. But it is not necessary.

I'm not a fan of using sand as a substrate material in any combination. It can be very dusty if it gets too dry and sticks to everything that contains moisture like their eyes, mouth and food. It also does not hold it's form well and is abrasive. About the only positive value it has as a substrate material is that it has good heat retention properties. I prefer 60%organic soil (topsoil or potting soil) combined with about 25% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum moss and leaf litter. This combination allows for good moisture retention and holds it's form fairly well when a tortoise is burrowing in it. Other people also have alternative substrate materials and combinations that work well for them in their situation. The primary concern should always be the tortoises health and well being.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
roxy25 said:
Hiya all i keep being given conflicting stories on what is best for my 3 year old male horsefield. He is indoors in a table top. does he need to be outside, does he need to hibernate and what substrate do you use. He as 60/40 ssoil/sand at the moment which i dampen daily.

If you have any more information as regards to caring for my horsefield (named Roman) i wold be so grateful. He is lively, loves being bathed, loves wandering around my lounge and loves carrots. He seems perfectly fine, healthy and happy but i want to know i am doing everything correct.

Thanks everyone

Danielle & Roman xxx

Hey, welcome from one newbie to another. :)

Might I suggest posting a picture of his environment on the pics sub-forum? Or here even. These guys are really knowledgeable about everything tort and can give great advice on setup. Including lights, hides etc, as well as directing you to the right threads for in depth information.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome! Russians are great :) I use a mix of coconut coir and cypress for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.