Home's Hinge Back Tortoise Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisssMeganNicole

5 Year Member
I ordered a HHB online and it will be here Tuesday I have everything for it, enclosure, lighting/heating, substrate, food, soaking/food dishes. My question is if anyone here knows if he/she will eat Mazuri? I'm considering buying the 1 or 2lb to see if he/she will eat it. But, does anyone now for sure or does it just vary from tortoise to tortoise?

Thanks!

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Some breeds can be picky, but I haven't heard of a Tortoise that definitely won't eat it. Because you can always mulch up lettuce and such with it, and boy will they eat. I have all different breeds and they all will eat Mazuki and mulberry. I like having a decent amount made available for them, (moistened) that is my tortoises would rarely eat it while in pellet form. However my little Russian Lilith has been known to "not be picky" so she'll eat anything (she trusts people a lot).... But I would recommend starting with one pound as you have only one tortoise and sometimes I know pet owners that get 1lb every 2 & 1/2 months. Since it last long and three kibbles is all I see hatchlings able to take (I mean mass/weight). But a teaspoon next to their greens or a dollop on top is a great way to start and see if they go for it. Good luck. And congrats on the new addition to your family....

MisssMeganNicole

5 Year Member
tyrs4u said:
Some breeds can be picky, but I haven't heard of a Tortoise that definitely won't eat it. Because you can always mulch up lettuce and such with it, and boy will they eat. I have all different breeds and they all will eat Mazuki and mulberry. I like having a decent amount made available for them, (moistened) that is my tortoises would rarely eat it while in pellet form. However my little Russian Lilith has been known to "not be picky" so she'll eat anything (she trusts people a lot).... But I would recommend starting with one pound as you have only one tortoise and sometimes I know pet owners that get 1lb every 2 & 1/2 months. Since it last long and three kibbles is all I see hatchlings able to take (I mean mass/weight). But a teaspoon next to their greens or a dollop on top is a great way to start and see if they go for it. Good luck. And congrats on the new addition to your family....

Thank you for the reply I'll definitely pick up a 1lb bag and add it to his/her food and go from there.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Most eat it, try soaking it tilll it turns to mush and mix it in the greens.
Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.