home made enclosure

tasha bason

Just adopted an adolescent sulcata and my husband and I built the attached enclosure. We opted to get the natural common board wood as opposed to treated wood with chemicals. I am not 100% sure what type of wood this is and am wondering if it will be safe? Should I add a lining? We are planning on adding sand and dirt and have read to put it in the oven to kill any mites or insects. We have also built it with a small incline and drilled holes for drainage as to not get too moist. do you think this will work

20150329_213955.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
Very nice, secure enclosure. Wish I could build someting like that. What are the dimensions?

Considering a limer or paint - Opt 1: lining the entire interior with plastic is very simple and a great moisture barrier. Opt 2: paint is a "prettier" option but will need to be aired until fumes are gone.

Use coco coir, orchard bark (fir mulch) or cypress mulch with your dirt, not sand. Also, what are your plans to maintain an 80%+ humidty?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
A lot of people would advise against using sand at all, however I personally think a low percentage like 20% sand to 80% dirt should be fine. If you do go with the sand, do not feed them on the ground. Get a saucer or something they can eat out of. The reason sand is generally frowned upon is because when ingested it can build up in the intestines if the tortoise is not properly hydrated to pass it. This can sometimes lead to death. It is important as well that you soak your tortoise often to keep them hydrated, regardless of the substrate choice.

How old is the sulcata? Humidity is fairly important for their delopment, so if they are still young, I would suggest either:

1. Making a closed chamber and get rid of the cage top

or

2. Make a humid hide in there so he can go in there when he wants to

I don't have a sulcata but my tortoise needs high humidity, so I do pour some water into the corners of her enclosure and mix the substrate up every week. I do not think drainage holes will be necessary, because the substrate tends to dry out over time. You definitely don't want it soaking wet, so just be careful when you mix with water.

I also have a wooden enclosure that I lined with pond liner from home depot so the wood doesn't rot. I've had the unfinished wooden top rot before in a small area that I thought was covered :(

tasha bason

We live in Houston and have pretty high humidity and quite a bit of rain, I put the hole to elevate and standing water but I guess with dirt that really wouldn't happen. I also read they like a bit of an incline. It's not much but over 4 ft it goes down 2 inches. The structure itself is 2ft by 4ft x 1 ft high, I think it should last him a couple years. I don't know his age he's small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. I'll get a liner today and more dirt vs the sand. I'll take more photos when done.

20150329_214035.jpg 20150329_213504.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tasha, and welcome to the Forum!

Is this going to be set up outside? Then I wouldn't line it with plastic. You want it to be able to drain, just like you thought when you drilled the drain holes. Be sure the baby has lots of shade so the sun doesn't cook him. I like to have plenty of plants to provide hiding places plus shade.

Have you had a chance to read the pinned threads at the top of the Sulcata section here on the Forum? We have some good (and new) ideas there for new sulcata keepers.

tasha bason

Yes outside, I have not had a chance to yet. We literally rescued him yesterday and built the enclosure last night. Maybe a little prematurely though. I will check it out today!

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I was in a hurry to get my tort into her new home and didn't paint the wood. HUGE mistake. Mold, mold, mold. Painting afterward doesn't really work. He is still pretty small. I think he'll be ok in something temporary till it's finished. Good luck and he sure is cute.

tasha bason

I planted some sprouted organic wheatgrass and ordered sprouted barlet grass to plant. He has a log house and organic soil with Peet moss

Attachments

• 20150401_110612.jpg
    20150401_110612.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That should do the trick, just let it air out a while so the fumes are not bad

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
We live in Houston and have pretty high humidity and quite a bit of rain, I put the hole to elevate and standing water but I guess with dirt that really wouldn't happen. I also read they like a bit of an incline. It's not much but over 4 ft it goes down 2 inches. The structure itself is 2ft by 4ft x 1 ft high, I think it should last him a couple years. I don't know his age he's small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. I'll get a liner today and more dirt vs the sand. I'll take more photos when done.

View attachment 124091 View attachment 124092
Your husband is a keeper.

Any man can put himself in that position are not asking for marriage or forgiveness but to work on a torts enclosure, He is an keeper for sure.

That is the only way that my wife are keeping me! !:oops::oops:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice looking box for sure. See about making a plexiglass cover for the top. It could just lay on top and cover 75-90%.
This will help a LOT on keeping up your humidity. Do this inside the house only. (This set up will cook your tortoise outdoors.)
I'd use epoxy paint and brush it on. Don't put your tortoise back in for a day or two while the paint cures. The fumes are not good for it.
Also, potting soil generally has far less sand in it and only costs pennies more per bag. The plus side is that you can put plants in it, too.