Hit the Motherlode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
I've been buying my orchard grass mostly online and paying ridiculous shipping charges($36 for 9 lbs.) plus the cost of the grass itself and needed to find a better source. I did some calling around some of my local farm feed stores and found a place that sells bales of orchard grass for $8.00 a bale(70 lbs.)! This is going to save me a lot of $$$. They also have bales of Timothy/Orchard/Rye mix for $6.00 a bale. :D

So if you are in need of lots of grass for your torts, try a feed store.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow that's cheap. We pay around $14 a bale for orchard grass here, but it's a bigger bale. Around 110 pounds.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Glad they have the smaller ones here, I don't think I could handle 110 lbs with my bad knees. :D

That's still a pretty good price!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Oh Yah! Feed Store ANY time for Bulk Grasses!
You can also get your Mazurri in 25 lb bags there CHEAP! We pay $23.50 for a 25 lb bag! It will last about 3 month during Spring and Summer and 1 bag will last thru Fall and Winter when WalkingRock starts slowing down

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
Zamric said:
Oh Yah! Feed Store ANY time for Bulk Grasses!
You can also get your Mazurri in 25 lb bags there CHEAP! We pay $23.50 for a 25 lb bag! It will last about 3 month during Spring and Summer and 1 bag will last thru Fall and Winter when WalkingRock starts slowing down

Since you appear to be from Garland and I'm also in the DFW area, which feed store do you get your Mazuri from? I've ordered mine online, but it would be nice to know a good local source especially as the little guy gets bigger. I know of a feed store near me with bulk grass hay and seed, but if there's a place I could pick up Mazuri as well that would be awesome.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Roaches Feed Store in Downtown Garland. you can get Mazurri thru your feed store... just ask the guys at the counter. If they dont have it or carry it, they can order it and save you the shipping and handling!

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
i have 2 baby sulcatas about a year old should i be feeding grasses or at what age to start?
i have tried but they wont eat it!

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
I have a feed store near me that fills a 50lb feed back with timothy grass for $5. For my babies that turn 2 years old in the next two weeks the first bag lasted about 14 months. The second bag they stuffed full...

pennyw said:
i have 2 baby sulcatas about a year old should i be feeding grasses or at what age to start?
i have tried but they wont eat it!

I cut it up for mine and soaked it in water and they caught on. I had to let them go a couple of days without other edibles. Just like us, if they are hungry enough they will eat it... after a while it became their main staple.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
Wow that's cheap. We pay around $14 a bale for orchard grass here, but it's a bigger bale. Around 110 pounds.

Whats the use of the grass for? Should i buy some?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
NinjaTortoises said:
Tom said:

Grasses should be about 70% or so of their diet for Sulcatas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NinjaTortoises said:
Tom said:

Once your babies get up to around 12", dried grass hay becomes a very easy, cheap, economical way to get good nutrition into them. It is really good for them too. Right now I am growing a ton of good stuff for mine to eat, including lots of fresh green grass, but mine still go munch on the dry hay too. Feed stores sell Timothy hay, Bermuda grass hay and orchard grass hay all bundled up in huge bales to feed to horses. It's relatively cheap at $14 for around 100 pounds. That much will last my herd of 6 adults and 4 juveniles around 3 months, and I use it for bedding too. You can chop it up with scissors, soak it, mix it up with other greens and feed it to smaller ones too. It's good for any grass eating species. You will soon see just how much sulcatas can eat. At 12" long they can eat 3 big heads of romaine in a few minutes, plus they will still eat more all day long if it's available. I'd bet a single 100 pound adult could easily eat a whole case of lettuce heads with no problem. Can you imagine what it would cost to feed one grocery store food all year long. Having an adult sulcatas turns you into a master food scrounger. That's why so many of us plant our own cactus, grow our own weeds and buddy up to friends and neighbors with mulberry trees. :)

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
Once your babies get up to around 12", dried grass hay becomes a very easy, cheap, economical way to get good nutrition into them. It is really good for them too. Right now I am growing a ton of good stuff for mine to eat, including lots of fresh green grass, but mine still go munch on the dry hay too. Feed stores sell Timothy hay, Bermuda grass hay and orchard grass hay all bundled up in huge bales to feed to horses. It's relatively cheap at $14 for around 100 pounds. That much will last my herd of 6 adults and 4 juveniles around 3 months, and I use it for bedding too. You can chop it up with scissors, soak it, mix it up with other greens and feed it to smaller ones too. It's good for any grass eating species. You will soon see just how much sulcatas can eat. At 12" long they can eat 3 big heads of romaine in a few minutes, plus they will still eat more all day long if it's available. I'd bet a single 100 pound adult could easily eat a whole case of lettuce heads with no problem. Can you imagine what it would cost to feed one grocery store food all year long. Having an adult sulcatas turns you into a master food scrounger. That's why so many of us plant our own cactus, grow our own weeds and buddy up to friends and neighbors with mulberry trees. :)

Awesome, and thanks for the info, turns out i have a feed store a few blocks away from me, its about a 5 minute drive which is awesome and i also have 2 places that sell plants very close by so i am pretty much set on where to buy, and ill go and ask them in a few days what their prices for the stuff they have, and I've seem my tortoises begin to eat a lot of mazuri lettuce and if they feel like eating grass i catch them eating it too, they plow through it all, good thing my sister likes them and helps out by bringing home romaine lettuce once she sees its gone haha so its a bit of money saved :), i also have a grape tree, orange tree, persimmons tree, guava tree and apple tree in my yard! So im sure they might like one of those fruits once in a while and about the price of feeding one type of food, id rather just buy what they need because if i knew then it would probably give me a heart attack haha, ive already spent at least 500 on them no kidding and its only been 11 months but i took on this task and as long as i know i can feed them then i am happy haha sorry for the story i wrote :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.