Hingeback Tortise Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother Yoda

5 Year Member
Ok, so I have a 75 gallon tank ready with lights, substrate, food and water bowls (terra cota plant dishes) but I am still uncertain as to what else I need. Any advise?

S

Scooter

Hides and plants. If you post a picture of the setup we can give you more ideas. What species of hingeback to you have?

Mother Yoda

5 Year Member
Scooter said:
Hides and plants.
What type of plants? Would ferns work?

Scooter said:
What species of hingeback to you have?
I don't have it yet but I plan to get a Kinixys Erosa.

Also I hear they like to have water to lay in. What would be a good thing to use for that?

S

Scooter

You can use fake plants but I prefer live ones that are safe for them to eat. It allows them to graze on it and provides hiding spots. They do like a water dish that they can sit in. I use a plastic plant saucer as a water/soaking dish.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What kind of light are you planning to use? These guys really usually don't like much light. Most of the time, just the natural amount of light found in most homes is enough for them.

As stated above, make sure they have a nice area for whole body soaking, they not only need this, they love it! Depending on the size of the Erosa the really large and deep water saucers for plants work well. Other common things are the small travel or even regular size cat litter boxes, cement tubs, paint trays (if small tortoise), the list just keeps going on.

Are you wanting to use live plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.