Hiccups HELP!

sherlly

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
Hi everyone,

My redfoot tortoise seems like be choked by pieces of strawberry. At first her bobbed rapidly and breathe with noise, and now she regular bobs the head but still get hiccups.

I searched online and find someone said it maybe because she want to poop. She poop some during the hiccups. But she is still in the hiccups with head bobbing.

I attached the videos. Any suggestion what should I do? I am new to the forum, pls remind me if use in a wrong way, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sherlly

Seattle
Hi everyone,

My redfoot tortoise seems like be choked by pieces of strawberry. At first her bobbed rapidly and breathe with noise, and now she regular bobs the head but still get hiccups.

I searched online and find someone said it maybe because she want to poop. She poop some during the hiccups. But she is still in the hiccups with head bobbing.

Any suggestion what should I do? Btw how can I upload the video recording her hicupps? I am new to the forum, pls remind me if use in a wrong way, thanks in advance.
She seems better now with lower frequency of hiccups and less noise. But still not active as usual. The hiccups showed in the 1st second

Central PA
I am not sure about the hiccups. Once my tortoise almost choked on a carrot slice because I had been told wrong on her care but she didnt have any problems after. The wheezing is concerning. Is that a mister you have going on there? @Tom

sherlly

Seattle
I am not sure about the hiccups. Once my tortoise almost choked on a carrot slice because I had been told wrong on her care but she didnt have any problems after. The wheezing is concerning. Is that a mister you have going on there? @Tom
Hi Tom, thank you for replying! Yes, there is a Reptile Fogger on cause it is suggested to keep the humidity above 60 for red-foot tortoise. Do you recommend to see a vet for her wheezing? Or before that should I try turn off the fogger and see if the wheezing continues? Thanks again!

Central PA
Hi Tom, thank you for replying! Yes, there is a Reptile Fogger on cause it is suggested to keep the humidity above 60 for red-foot tortoise. Do you recommend to see a vet for her wheezing? Or before that should I try turn off the fogger and see if the wheezing continues? Thanks again!
Sorry I am not Tom I just put that in there so he will get a reminder sort of thing to see this thread...Im not sure about the fogger maybe turn it off for now. To keep my humidity at what I want I find it easy to mist some water in the substrate and pour water on the hides and stuff to simulate rain because I dont know if the fogger will make the air too heavy. It shouldnt hurt to stop using for a little so maybe try that and see if it helps.

sherlly

Seattle
Sorry I am not Tom I just put that in there so he will get a reminder sort of thing to see this thread...Im not sure about the fogger maybe turn it off for now. To keep my humidity at what I want I find it easy to mist some water in the substrate and pour water on the hides and stuff to simulate rain because I dont know if the fogger will make the air too heavy. It shouldnt hurt to stop using for a little so maybe try that and see if it helps.
Hi Kayleigh,

Thank you for the suggestion, we will take that and try if this can make her better. And Sorry about mistakening you to Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Kayleigh,

Thank you for the suggestion, we will take that and try if this can make her better. And Sorry about mistakening you to Tom.
I don't see any hiccups. I just see normal breathing.

Don't cut harder food into pieces. Things like strawberries, squash, or cucumber need to be grated, finely minced, or blended. Cutting them into chunks can result in choking and death.

Your tortoise needs humidity over 80% all the time. You should not have a humidifier blowing directly into the enclosure. The tortoise shouldn't be breathing those micro droplets. Maintain the correct humidity by using a large closed chamber enclosure.

sherlly

Seattle

Don't cut harder food into pieces. Things like strawberries, squash, or cucumber need to be grated, finely minced, or blended. Cutting them into chunks can result in choking and death.

Your tortoise needs humidity over 80% all the time. You should not have a humidifier blowing directly into the enclosure. The tortoise shouldn't be breathing those micro droplets. Maintain the correct humidity by using a large closed chamber enclosure.
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion! Yeah we should go to buy a lid for the terrarium to make it a closed chamber and not let the humidifier directly blow. We will also be more careful when prepare harder food to avoid chunks. And for the hiccups, I used it to describe a much deep breath after several normal breath, which makes larger noise than normal breath. The noise is similar to the sound of hiccups. I am not sure if this is hiccups, but if it’s not, then that’s better.

Thanks again! Really appreciate it.

sherlly

Seattle

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion! Yeah we should go to buy a lid for the terrarium to make it a closed chamber and not let the humidifier directly blow. We will also be more careful when prepare harder food to avoid chunks. And for the hiccups, I used it to describe a much deep breath after several normal breath, which makes larger noise than normal breath. The noise is similar to the sound of hiccups. I am not sure if this is hiccups, but if it’s not, then that’s better.

The noisy deep breathe seems not happen again today, hopefully she feels better now.

Thanks again! Really appreciate it.