Hibernation

jasmin1

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi all.
Ok I'll be quick and as concise add I can.

New to brumation.
I understand it in theory and if my aged spur thighed lived inside I could follow the ideal method.
My problem is she lives outside. I am in SW France and the weather isn't playing fair this year.
The days are shortening but the weather is still about 18°- 20° in the day and about 8°- 12° at night.
She was used to living feral before we bought the land and house and discovered we also had an aged tortoise. No doubt hibernated lots on her own but probably only survived not thrived!.

Basically she is slowing down, not eating much and getting ready to sleep, but it's too warm!

I'm worried she will lose too much weight in this period, before the fasting period.

So.

Do I fast her anyway?
What if the temp. doesn't cool enough before its time for her box in the fridge? Will the temp change be too drastic, average of about daytime temp 16°/18° down to 6°? 24/7

Do I bring her in and not let her hibernate?, in which case she will fret and stress,as she hasn't ever been an indoor tortoise.

Some solid advice needed please. What would a more experienced owner do?

Many thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all.
Ok I'll be quick and as concise add I can.

New to brumation.
I understand it in theory and if my aged spur thighed lived inside I could follow the ideal method.
My problem is she lives outside. I am in SW France and the weather isn't playing fair this year.
The days are shortening but the weather is still about 18°- 20° in the day and about 8°- 12° at night.
She was used to living feral before we bought the land and house and discovered we also had an aged tortoise. No doubt hibernated lots on her own but probably only survived not thrived!.

Basically she is slowing down, not eating much and getting ready to sleep, but it's too warm!

I'm worried she will lose too much weight in this period, before the fasting period.

So.

Do I fast her anyway?
What if the temp. doesn't cool enough before its time for her box in the fridge? Will the temp change be too drastic, average of about daytime temp 16°/18° down to 6°? 24/7

Do I bring her in and not let her hibernate?, in which case she will fret and stress,as she hasn't ever been an indoor tortoise.

Some solid advice needed please. What would a more experienced owner do?

Many thanks
Please read this:

In this thread I explain and show how to deal with the ever changing weather of a temperate climate:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did I miss it? What species is this tortoise?

jasmin1

France
Please read this:

In this thread I explain and show how to deal with the ever changing weather of a temperate climate:
Thanks Tom.
Is the drop in temp after fasting from potentially 16/18° to fridge temp that I'm worried about. Would you recomend that this is ok and safe for her. Not shock her too much ?
Thanks for your input

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom.
Is the drop in temp after fasting from potentially 16/18° to fridge temp that I'm worried about. Would you recomend that this is ok and safe for her. Not shock her too much ?
Thanks for your input
I do it all gradually. If the weather cooperates, I can do some of it outside. If not, I drop the temp down gradually in the fridge. Also, rather than put them in the fridge in the afternoon or evening after the heat of a day, I put them in late at night when they are already cold and asleep, or early morning after they've been cold all night before the sun comes up.

jasmin1

France
Ah brilliant
Thanks
Forgot you can change temp in the fridge! Yes that will make it easier, gradually over a few days.
Merci beaucoup!

Reactions: Tom

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wish you success with this! Please keep us posted.