Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchdragon13

5 Year Member
Hi I have a desert Tortoise. Just before it was time to hibernate he got a respiratory inffection took him to the vet all better know. But was told he could not hibernate but he want's too . I have him in the house with a heat lamp and he is always trying to hibernate what should I do . Hope someone can help me Thanks

Witchdragon13

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
One way for him to THINK that he has finished hibernating is to allow him to sleep for two weeks. Put him in a dark box stuffed with shredded newspaper, and place it in a quiet, cool place. After two weeks, get him up, give him a warm soak, place him back into his indoor habitat with the lights on daylight savings time, that is, on for 12 to 14 hours a day. Don't allow the night time temp in his habitat to get much below 70.

And:

733895zl8k1fkhwd.gif

to the forum!

witchdragon13

5 Year Member
Thank you very much.
emysemys said:
One way for him to THINK that he has finished hibernating is to allow him to sleep for two weeks. Put him in a dark box stuffed with shredded newspaper, and place it in a quiet, cool place. After two weeks, get him up, give him a warm soak, place him back into his indoor habitat with the lights on daylight savings time, that is, on for 12 to 14 hours a day. Don't allow the night time temp in his habitat to get much below 70.

And:

733895zl8k1fkhwd.gif

to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.