Hibernation question

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

My 2 year old russian has slowed down alot the past 1,5 month. From what I understand tortoises are slowing down these days and making themselves ready to hibernate. I took mine to the vet last check to make it sure that she isn't ill. Aside a little bit of worms, which she got treated with panacure, my vet is also thinking about her urge to hibernate. I told him I don't want to hibernate her (too much risk for me as an unexperienced tortoise keeper). He gave me few tips:

- I can "half-hibernate" her. By that he means I can keep the temps on room temp (which is above 70F) and let a small basking lamp run in case my tort wants to warm up a bit.
- I can keep up the routine I'm doing now (wake her up for a 40 min warm soak) and then let her sleep. He also told me it is okay to feed her if she wants, but there has to be a hot spot if I do that.
- He did advice me to observe her weight strictly. During her 'half-hibernation' it is okay to lose some weight, but not more the 10% of her current weight.
- Just let her be. He told me it is okay to let her sleep and keep her on room temp. Some times a soak is also okay, but not necessary. Like 1- 3 times a week is alright, he says.

My vet has experience in reptile care, and also tortoises. He did cure my tort from her runny nose last year, so I trust him. I wanna know what you guys think. Is my vet correct, or do I need to take some measurements?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Room temperature isn't going to make the tortoise feel it has hibernated. In my opinion, you should box her up and place the box in a cool, quiet spot (between 40 and 50F degrees) and leave her in the dark for a couple weeks. After that time, bring her back out to her enclosure and make sure it feels like summertime in there, with the lights on for 12 to 14 hours a day.

Geng

5 Year Member
Room temperature isn't going to make the tortoise feel it has hibernated. In my opinion, you should box her up and place the box in a cool, quiet spot (between 40 and 50F degrees) and leave her in the dark for a couple weeks. After that time, bring her back out to her enclosure and make sure it feels like summertime in there, with the lights on for 12 to 14 hours a day.

Yeah, from what I read on these forums tortoises should hibernate between 40 and 50F degrees. However, I don't want to hibernate my tortoise because of the risk it has.

My vet said 'half hibernate' her is an option if I don't want to hibernate her. He said that I can keep the temps on room temperature and let her be, and by the time it is spring she will get active again.

Do you have any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said, a two week hibernation like I showed above, will make the tortoise think he has hibernated.

Geng

5 Year Member
Like I said, a two week hibernation like I showed above, will make the tortoise think he has hibernated.

Hmmmm, alright, that is good to know. Only thing that is worrying me is that hibernation isn't without risk. From what I read tortoises can die during their hibernation. So what my vet told me about 'half-hibernation' is not true (keep her at room temp, soak 1-3x a week and let her be)?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmmm, alright, that is good to know. Only thing that is worrying me is that hibernation isn't without risk. From what I read tortoises can die during their hibernation. So what my vet told me about 'half-hibernation' is not true (keep her at room temp, soak 1-3x a week and let her be)?

Leaving a tortoise at room temp for months is a likely death sentence. Its not warm enough to function, digest food and get the immune system working, but it is far too warm to shut down, hibernate, and save the fat stores long enough to last through winter.

I find 50 degrees to be too warm for russians. Perfect for desert tortoises, but not russians. In my experience russians hibernate best at 39-40 F.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises can die at normal temperatures too.

With hibernation, as with normal care, it's about doing what's right for your tortoise given the environment you live in.

People like Yvonne (and me for that matter) have hibernated tortoises for decades. We do know what we're talking about.

Hibernation-lite as described by Yvonne is lower risk. Your tortoise is burning calories, dehydrating and does not properly shut down at room temperature. Hibernation occurs at temperatures steadily well below 10C/50F but above freezing

Last edited:

Geng

5 Year Member
Tortoises can die at normal temperatures too.

With hibernation, as with normal care, it's about doing what's right for your tortoise given the environment you live in.

People like Yvonne (and me for that matter) have hibernated tortoises for decades. We do know what we're talking about.

Hibernation-lite as described by Yvonne is lower risk. Your tortoise is burning calories, dehydrating and does not properly shut down at room temperature. Hibernation occurs at temperatures steadily well below 10C/50F but above freezing

And what do I do when I don't want to hibernate my tortoise. Shes only 2 years old, isn't that too young? I tried to bump up the lights and temps and let the lamps burn longer, but it doesn't help. She only sleeps and doesn't eat (not if I give her sowthistles and dandelions).

Perhaps it is the best option to hibernate her?

Also, strangly enough my vet suspects hibernation urge, but said I should search up on the internet for more info about is. So I suppose he doesn't have much experience with hibernation.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And what do I do when I don't want to hibernate my tortoise. Shes only 2 years old, isn't that too young? I tried to bump up the lights and temps and let the lamps burn longer, but it doesn't help. She only sleeps and doesn't eat (not if I give her sowthistles and dandelions).

Perhaps it is the best option to hibernate her?
Doing as Yvonne said for a couple of weeks should sort things out.

You should hibernate this tortoise for just a couple of weeks, a very short period of time. It's not long enough for serious harm to come about. It's less potentially harmful at 40F than at 50F or warmer.

Geng

5 Year Member
Doing as Yvonne said for a couple of weeks should sort things out.

You should hibernate this tortoise for just a couple of weeks, a very short period of time. It's not long enough for serious harm to come about. It's less potentially harmful at 40F than at 50F or warmer.

Okay, I will consider to hibernate my tortoise. Many thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Okay, I will consider to hibernate my tortoise. Many thanks!

A two week period couldn't really be called 'hibernation.' You have to get that thought out of your head. What you're doing is trying to trick the tortoise into THINKING it has hibernated.

Geng

5 Year Member
A two week period couldn't really be called 'hibernation.' You have to get that thought out of your head. What you're doing is trying to trick the tortoise into THINKING it has hibernated.
I shall keep that in mind. Is there anything I should do different with a 'fake hibernation' than a real one? Will it have other affects on her health if I fake hibernate her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All it's going to do is make her think she can now start eating again because it must be Springtime.

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi, it's me again.

Perhaps some stupid and some questions, but it's better than me worrying about my tort's health. It is about hibernation:

Even when I bump up the temps and let the lights run longer, my tortoise just sleeps away and doesn't get up to eat. She only comes alive and active when I warm soak her and hand feed her dandelions and sow thistles. Then she goes to sleep again (forever it seems). She hasn't eaten for 2 weeks now.

My questions:

1. I'm suspecting my tort wants to hibernate, so I took her to the vet to be sure. Aside a little bit of worms (the vet gave her panacure) everything seems fine and the vet also thinks she has the urge to hibernate. I'm reluctant about hibernation, because it doesn't go without risk. I want to over winter her, but seeing her behaviour I think she really want to hibernate. Even when the temps were bumped up and longer running. What do you guys think? Do I have no choice but to hibernate her?

2. My vet gave this advice I've never heard of: half hibernation, which is let the tort 'hibernate' on room temp (60-70F), run a small hotspot to be sure, soak her 1x a week and let her be when she thinks it is time to get up. What do you guys think about it?

3. What are the dangers of not hibernating her now? For now I have taken the advice of the vet, which is 'half-hibernation': let her 'hibernate' on room temp (in my room 60-70F), soak her 4x a week, and let her be. I think this isn't good also, because her body hasn't shut down and she is still burning calories while she doesn't eat. Thoughs?

I am uneasy to hibernate her, but seeing the circumstances and advices of the members her, I am really considering to hibernate my tort.

Guys, help me please!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmm, half hibernation doesn's seem at all natural and probably not the way to go. You are right, he hasnt totally shut down so is using up calories and energy, leading to weakness, illness, etc.

I'm sure others will jump in with better advice, but out of interest, where are you located, kind, age, size of your tort. That will help everone provide better information. Good luck.

Ogh, how long 'til Spring?

Geng

5 Year Member
Hmm, half hibernation doesn's seem at all natural and probably not the way to go. You are right, he hasnt totally shut down so is using up calories and energy, leading to weakness, illness, etc.

I'm sure others will jump in with better advice, but out of interest, where are you located, kind, age, size of your tort. That will help everone provide better information. Good luck.

Ogh, how long 'til Spring?

Thanks for your reply!

I have a female russian tortoise of 2 year old. With only her shell measurred she is like 10 - 15 cm long
I live in the Netherlands, and the outdoor temps these days are 40F - 50F. At night it can go down to -1. She lives indoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you try the way your vet has suggested, you're going to end up with a tortoise that doesn't eat, a tortoise that gets weak, a sick tortoise, a dead tortoise.

If keeping the lights on for 14 hours a day, soaking daily for 15 minutes, getting the tortoise out and placing it in front of the food. . . if these things don't work to wake the tortoise up, you're going to have to allow a two week hibernation to trick the tortoise into thinking it has hibernated.