Hibernation for box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Im looking to burmate my male three toed box turtle & female ornate box turtle. Ive had them about a year now & they have never burmated before to my knowledge. Does anyone know how to do this? any advice would be great thank you!

Ps I live in alberta canada & it is too cold here to have them outside they live in two 4 foot aquariums at the moment

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
I have Easterns and I do not burmate them. I live in Texas, so the weather does not always cooperate. Spring like temperatures in the fall, etc. They do slow down, but they bounce back to high activity in the spring. I want to say that there is a thread in the Box Turtle forum in regards to this and there are surely more experienced keepers out there if you choose to do this. One thing I did learn, you can't force them. Mine live 9 months in outside enclosure. And as I said, the weather here plays a big part of my decision.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Hi, I live in Texas also. However I hibernate my 4 3toeds. I will start by
1) making sure they are healthy
2) feed them lots and lots of food for about 3 weeks
3) not feed them for a week before hibernation.
4) put them in a very deep, full of dirt, leaves, etc container and put them outside on a cold day, hopefully the should bury down. I then put the container in my garage.
5) every week make sure the dirt is relatively moist but not super moist
6) every 4 weeks, take them out, and soak them, dry them off then put them right back in

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You don't have to brumate them. You can keep them up & enjoy their company all winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.