Hibernation / AZ Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfjpf2

5 Year Member
First off I'd like to apologize if this is in the wrong section, or if this has been asked several other times but I couldn't really find anything on it.

I had a few questions about hibernating my two russian tortoises. I've had them for almost two months now, I had gotten them from the pet store and like many others I was very mis-informed about everything, So I did some research. Moved them out of the Aquarium I had previously purchased for them into a "starter" Tortoise table made from a small bookshelf.

I use play sand and top soil, the temperature ranges from around 81-83 inside the enclosure. All that information aside, like I said I am very new at this, I'm not sure how old they are, but they are pretty big. Not babies, I know that much.

How would I go about getting them ready to hibernate? Or should I even hibernate them at all? I live in Arizona, where the weather is still fairly hot in early September (Around 110F still) Most summers are around 115 degrees.

I do have a UV light and everything set up for them, with it being so hot do they need some type of red light at night? So many questions. I just want to make sure they're safe.

Their appetite has slowed down quite a bit lately, does this mean they're getting ready to hibernate?

Please, any information will be very helpful. Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.