Hibernation?

TuluhlaTheTortoise

It has come to my attention that Russian tortoises hibernate. I wasn't aware of this when I got my Russian last August and didn't hibernate her, I just kept the light and heat the same and she still ate as usual. Is it detrimental to her health if she doesn't hibernate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It has come to my attention that Russian tortoises hibernate. I wasn't aware of this when I got my Russian last August and didn't hibernate her, I just kept the light and heat the same and she still ate as usual. Is it detrimental to her health if she doesn't hibernate?

This is a very heated and controversial tortoise subject.

Some say hibernation is only a response to bad environmental conditions that might happen in the wild. If "the weather" stays good in your indoor enclosure, no need to hibernate.

The other side says that hibernation is a natural part of life for temperate species and it benefits them in many ways, while there can be detrimental effects, if they are not hibernated.

The truth: Both ways work. Many long term keepers have reproducing 20+ year old Testudo species that have never hibernated. Other keepers say they get better reproduction, health and vigor, if they hibernate their tortoises. The few that I know of that have tried it both ways have told me they prefer to hibernate them.

Personally, I hibernate my russians, but its no big deal if you skipped a year, or if you prefer to not do it at all. Either way works.

Do a forum search to read endless debate on the subject. Just be aware as you read that opinions and feelings are not facts. Not for either side of the debate.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Many owners do not hibernate tortoises for the first few years of their lives, but begin after they're four or five years old.
Never hibernate an underweight or sick tortoise.
Otherwise, see Tom's post above.
My Tidgy is about 5 years old and has not yet hibernated.
It's pretty warm here even in winter, but I might try it for 6 weeks or so this year.
Your decision.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My beloved Greek tort has not hibernated since I've had it. My guess is that it got used to the relatively warm temperature in my flat.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.