Hibernation and current habitat

scout

As we're going into Fall and as the weather getting colder my turtle is acting a bit different.

My current setup isn't as optimal as I'd like but it's what I'm using, with how the weather is I don't know how I should modify my current setup and when/if/how I should hibernate him. I can make an indoor setup but can't just put him in the garage.

His appetite has changed and I don't know if it's due to temperature change or if I didn't rotate his food well enough this past few weeks.
I'm still keeping him in a kiddie pool, with compost/wood chips in it. A plastic bin with leaves in it for shelter. I'm keeping it on my porch due to him almost drowning during a thunder storm a few months back putting 3 to 4 inches of water in his enclosure. Got to him in time. He was extremely stressed out but no injuries.
I have a desk lamp for heat and he'll get roughly 4 hours of direct sunlight but he doesn't always sit in the sun.

He's been slow getting up this week. It's been getting noticeably colder. Yesterday he got up at 10am and today at 11:45. He's usually up way before 7am.

Recommendations welcome!
Thanks.

scout

Missouri. It gets below 32 for a good part of winter. I understand I'll need to bring him in but my question is how

scout

I think I will make a indoor habitat but if he doesn't eat does that mean I have to hibernate him?
It'll be 50" by 18" is that good?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Scout
You don't have to hibernate your tort !! Give it 12-14 hours of light and the proper heat . It be normal summer for it . It will eat ( maybe a little less then normal . Maybe ! ) but hibernation can be stressful on a tort !

deb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
No. CA
I'm the fence as well.... My two CA Desert torts just turned 5 years a couple of weeks ago. I have never hibernated. Now I feel I should let them, due to their furious digging routines, but I'm really nervous. They are 'house raised" though they have a 'run' outside they use during the day - they come in and out of the house. Anyway, I've read where they need to FAST for a few weeks and just given water to clean out their systems before letting them sleep, as they can die from rotted food. I worry about that and I feel guilty for not offering food (this is the third day). I plan on putting them in a plastic bin with a towel in the bottom, and cover with either another towel (which is how they sleep normally every night) or try the styrofoam. Put them in a back closet. I won't let them sleep past 10-11 weeks..check them once a week... but I'm still not sure. I'm in No CA. Any tips?

scout

Scout
You don't have to hibernate your tort !! Give it 12-14 hours of light and the proper heat . It be normal summer for it . It will eat ( maybe a little less then normal . Maybe ! ) but hibernation can be stressful on a tort !
I don't want to hibernate him but I was under the impression that even if you gave the proper conditions the turtle could hibernate on It's own accord.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
it can. but only if it has dirt to dig deep and get under. Otherwise, leaving it out in the cold could kill it. If you bring it inside, just keep feeding it as normal.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Some turtles realize the time of year regardless of how warm you keep them, and will go off feed, in which case keeping them warm would be dangerous since their metabolism is still running high. If this happens you need to find a safe method of brumation. If the turtle continues to be active and feed regularly, then this is not an issue. I have a box turtle who will attempt to brumate in the winter regardless of the temperature.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't want to hibernate him but I was under the impression that even if you gave the proper conditions the turtle could hibernate on It's own accord.
Keep uvb lights on 14 hours a day. Keep gentle heat on overnight. Keep the enclosure warm and humid (covering it helps) and the turtle should stay active.

Indoors, of course!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
All my outdoor Box Turtles are slowing down now and refusing food. My little one's that are still inside have also slowed down. I only feed them twice a week now and soon they will stop eating and just dig under for a few weeks. (the inside one's) I have already stopped feeding the outside ones, and prepared their hibernation cave. In about two weeks if the weather keeps getting cooler, they will dig under and I won't see them for the rest of the Winter until about Easter time. I let the little one's that are inside dig under some leaf litter which is on the cooler side of the vivarium I keep them in for the Winter. On the warm side there is a Ceramic Heat emitter (only 60 wt) and in the middle is a long tube UVB 5.0. I don't use hides as I put a lot of loose soil and leaf litter on one side for them to did in. Sometimes they stay dug under for a month or three weeks. When they come out I'll feed them, if they are looking for food. Just what I do....not written in stone.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Doh! @terryo

I hate that my phone keyboard thanks it's smarter than I am! Well, it might be right.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Thinks, thinks it is smarter then me. Oh I give up. I'm gonna go back to the football game. Go Sooners!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thinks, thinks it is smarter then me. Oh I give up. I'm gonna go back to the football game. Go Sooners!
Go Sooners! I really like you now PJay! May need to send you a free hatchling!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Go Sooners! I really like you now PJay! May need to send you a free hatchling!
Hatchlings are always well received! I could name it Boomer - if my daughter will agree. I haven't been allowed to name my (our?) pets for some years now.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Lol! I have one named Boomer and Sooner.