hibernation advice

humanoid2030

Location (City and/or State)
belfast northern ireland
im debating hibernating my russian, i have a glass fronted fridge which many have said is ideal, i have a thermometer in at the moment and im recording temperatures, i have been informed that the ideal temp is 5 celcius, the fridge seems to be fluctuating between 3.8 and 5.8, depends on wether heating is on, its in the kitchen so it is unlikely to ever be in a freezing environment, would these above temperatures be ok for him to hibernate? or is it too much of a gap? thanks in advance.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
How long have you owned your Russian? I've had mine for 3 years and haven't ever allowed him to hibernate. If you don't want to, that's fine and they don't rely on it in captivity. All you would need to do is keep temperatures stable. Is your Russian inside or out? Mine is out, but it's too cold at night so I will be bringing him into his heated tabk at night.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If you've had the torts less than a year or they been sick in the last 12 months don't not maybe don't hibernate ! But you don't have to hibernate any tort . I've had my torts for 14 yrs and sense I'm in AZ , USA . But I have hibernated my torts every year . Not the pancakes , Egyptions , or the leopards . But all else hibernates .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think 3.8 is pushing it a bit. I'd keep it in the 5-7 range. Even up to 10 would be okay.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Personally, I think 3.8C is fine. My Greeks often get into the 3.8 range and less. You must be very certain they never freeze.......obviously. I also have thought 10C is too warm, especially if your hibernation is extended, like 12-16 weeks. I think the tort would be fine at 10C for six weeks or so, but they burn too many reserves at that temp.

Shoot for 4.4C or 40F