Hibernate Outdoors or in a Shed Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hi Fellow Tort Lovers!

I am debating this winter if I should let my tort's hibernate outside this year. I live in No. Calif. Last year I hibernated them in plastic boxes in a shed I have outside. They are still pretty active during the day. My two Russians have both dug down and are ready.

I have a pretty good area for them with igloos outside, someone recommended I use wood dog houses if I leave them outside. I just figured if I let them hibernate on their own they could determine when they were ready vs. me.

Please let me know what you think.

Janet

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Concord, CA
Hi Janet,
I think you're in Sac, I'm in Concord & keep mine outdoors. They are in a hide box full of timothy hay for insulation in a greenhouse. The greenhouse rarely gets down to freezing. They don't hibernate as deeply as the russians do. I cover them with as much hay as I can. Last year one of the males kept getting up on sunny day all winter, so I finally brought him in the house in Dec. to put some weight on him.
I've been keeping them outdoors about 10 years without an incident.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Thanks Dan, I actually found a great guy on craigslist who is going to build me a hide to see how it looks, if it works
I am going to buy a couple of them and not use the igloos. I always thought igloos are insulated but Felice told me they do not make
good houses. They currently use them during the summer and just love going into them but maybe not so good for hibernation in the winter
I usually just cover them up :)

VICtort

5 Year Member
techiegrl said:
Thanks Dan, I actually found a great guy on craigslist who is going to build me a hide to see how it looks, if it works
I am going to buy a couple of them and not use the igloos. I always thought igloos are insulated but Felice told me they do not make
good houses. They currently use them during the summer and just love going into them but maybe not so good for hibernation in the winter
I usually just cover them up :)

Dear Janet, I have tried various methods with varying success. No problems with a planned hibernation, but once I had a Russian dig in and hibernate on its own, I could not locate it, and it was sick in the spring, as it was too damp. Dan has an ideal set up, really well done, as they stay dry yet the air is humid. I have good luck hibernating my Russians, Marginateds, Greek/ibera etc. in very large ice chests, packed with clean and dry and dust free straw and/or newsprint, and placing them in a cool and dry outbuilding. I leave a tiny hole for air in the drain plug, and I open them and air them every couple weeks. It worked well for me when I lived near you, in Oroville/Butte County. I covered the chests with blankets also, trying to insulate them from extremes of temp either hi or low. The goal is to keep it even, like a wine cellar, or 30" underground in a snug burrow. Avoid placing next to a wall that conducts heat from the Sun beating on it, and watch our for auto exhaust etc. if in the garage. I also have used refrigerators down here, as it does not get very cool here in the Imperial Valley.

Good luck, Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.