Hi from Errol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniii

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I had my little horsefield tortoise for Christmas 2011 and he is the most adorable, friendly, bubbly and energetic little tortoise I've ever seen!

We gave him strawberries for the first time today and he ate the lot and then had a little run round before crashing out under his log.

I was wondering how often I should change his diet and what you recommend I should introduce to him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Errol:

Welcome to the tortoise forum!!

We’d like to know where you are, but this is NOT mandatory.

When we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your problem.

I recommend a varied diet of dark, leafy greens. You can start with a basic of Spring Mix or Santa Barbara Mix or for those in the UK, Rocket salad mix, and to that you wold add weeds from your back yard. If no weeds are available you can buy one head/bunch from the following list: escarole, endive, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, etc. When that head/bunch is gone, buy a different one.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
emysemys said:
Hi Errol:

Welcome to the tortoise forum!!

We’d like to know where you are, but this is NOT mandatory.

When we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your problem.

I recommend a varied diet of dark, leafy greens. You can start with a basic of Spring Mix or Santa Barbara Mix or for those in the UK, Rocket salad mix, and to that you wold add weeds from your back yard. If no weeds are available you can buy one head/bunch from the following list: escarole, endive, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, etc. When that head/bunch is gone, buy a different one.

WELCOME !! we love pics !!! But any way, i agree spring mix with mustard greens mixed in for one week and spring mix with something else .... and watch the strawberry's they will make him have some very runny poop ...

Daniii

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I'm from England so not sure if the supermarkets here will have much of the same foods

He is very sleepy today

Giving him lots of greens and some calcium powder on top

Do they use "cuttlebones"?

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Some only, my red foot eats it and I am so grateful as it will keep her beak trim & calcium. My star just sleeps on it:(

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Daniii said:
Hi everyone,

I'm from England so not sure if the supermarkets here will have much of the same foods

He is very sleepy today

Giving him lots of greens and some calcium powder on top

Do they use "cuttlebones"?

Hiya :)

Tesco sell Spring Mix under the name 'Spring Greens' - £1 a bag, and I'd also recommend Living Leaves which are available in both Tesco and Asda. Of course, you can't go wrong with garden weeds either - clover and dandelion are popular with Emrys!

I find it's best just to go to a supermarket after 8pm, and raid their discount shelf with these websites to hand:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/houseplants.htm
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

You can usually buy enough food to last three or four days for 40p at that time.

Regarding cuttlefish, Emrys happily eats that so he's got his source of calcium whenever he needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.