hi everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernie

5 Year Member
Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Fern. I've been doing lots of research on the forum for a few weeks now to make sure I raise a healthy tort. I'm planning on getting a tortoise sometime in the next few months, a Mediterranean breed, just haven't decided which one yet. I just want something that stays around 12" or less.

I live in northeast USA, Rhode island to be exact. I am working on building an outdoor pen, and for its indoor enclosure, I've found some great trays at my local hydroponics shop. Tall sides and much bigger than a 50gal rubbermaid tote. I have also thought about building something but I'm concerned about using wood and having it rot from moist substrate and misting. I just haven't decided what I'm going to do for the indoor enclosure.

So to all of you mediterranean tort lovers, which of them is the hardiest, has a good personality,
and coolest looking in terms of shell markings?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Not from experience, but from being a member on this forum. The Russians are really a good first timer tort. Good luck on your search and don't forget to post pics of both the tort and enclosure. We love pics

derpythetort

5 Year Member
Hi. I'm also new. Russian tortoises are supposed to stay between 6-8 in. I have one, they are also easy to take care of. 😃

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians are very good first time torts, BUT they need plenty of space and, like all the smaller torts, they live better alone! They are quite aggressive if kept as a pair.

There's a link to Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread in my signature below this post. It makes a useful read.

I'd consider a Pancake Tortoise in the mix with one of the Testudo for a smaller tort to start with.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) I think Russians are a great first time tortoise :) I have 6 of them and love them all :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
derpythetort said:
Hi. I'm also new. Russian tortoises are supposed to stay between 6-8 in. I have one, they are also easy to take care of. 😃

Hi derpythetort:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Fern:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The steppe tortoise (russian) is a good beginner tortoise, however, you need to think along the lines of having an outdoor habitat for when the weather is good. They are ok in the house, but do much better outside.

fernie

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, thanks. I do plan on having an outdoor habitat for my soon to be new pet. I love the markings on the Russian, and love the fact that they're easy to take care of. Now what is everyone's opinion on getting one online? Any suggestions? Not sure if we are allowed to name the website here on the forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! If I didn't live near the person whom I think breeds the healthiest and best Russians, I would probably be looking online (if I were wanting a hatchlings). I actually got most of my adults from either friends or the local Petco. Where possible, I like to get to actually see and hold my tortoises before buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.