Hi everyone

Janet Douglas

My name is Janet Douglas, we rescued a leopard tortoise after a car went over him. We named the little chap zippy. The shell is cracked on top but not at the bottom; he's been recovering well and eating,drinking and walking around. I noticed maggets on his hind and removed them, also used betadine soaks and honey on the wound, it seems better now but the sore didn't close up. Would it close up with time? Will try and send pics. Also noticed that he ate less over the last couple of days but as the seasons turning i new he would. Would like to also know if he will still hibernate after the injurys? The shell doesn't seem to be cracked completely, no flesh is visible. His sleeping inside, warm and cozy while revovering also. About 25cm long if i had to guess and 1.2 kg 2 weeks ago when i took his weight (he's eating now so i will confirm later when his done)

So glad to join such a awesome group of tort lovers

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Howdy Janet,
Welcome to the forum. We're all happy, (you, your new tortoise, and us other members of the forum) that you've found us. I'm sorry that I can't help you directly with your new buddy's issues. If you can find a local vet that specializes in reptiles to help you that could go far. Have you seen and read the leopard tortoise care sheets in the specie specific section? If not this can help over all for the care and feeding of him. Hopefully tomorrow (for us in the states) someone will come along and provide more real help for you. Post some pictures, that can help alot in specific answers.

@Yvonne G

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
My name is Janet Douglas, we rescued a leopard tortoise after a car went over him. We named the little chap zippy. The shell is cracked on top but not at the bottom; he's been recovering well and eating,drinking and walking around. I noticed maggets on his hind and removed them, also used betadine soaks and honey on the wound, it seems better now but the sore didn't close up. Would it close up with time? Will try and send pics. Also noticed that he ate less over the last couple of days but as the seasons turning i new he would. Would like to also know if he will still hibernate after the injurys? The shell doesn't seem to be cracked completely, no flesh is visible. His sleeping inside, warm and cozy while revovering also. About 25cm long if i had to guess and 1.2 kg 2 weeks ago when i took his weight (he's eating now so i will confirm later when his done)

So glad to join such a awesome group of tort lovers

Welcome to the forum! An important note - leopard tortoises do not hibernate. They need to be kept warm all year round as they are a tropical species and subjecting them to hibernation conditions will be fatal. Hope yours heals up well - betadine is great for treating a wound initially but can really slow down healing so if you are applying it with any regularity you'll need to stop.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Janet, and welcome to the Forum!

I get the sense from your post that you're actually in a country where leopard tortoises are native, is that right?

Since you saw maggots on the injury, chances are good there is also bacteria growing there. The tortoise will need antibiotics to counter any infection. Keep the tortoise warm, 80-85F degrees, and quiet. Soak it in warm water daily for about a half hour. (It may be warm where you live, however, you still need a light over the tortoise's enclosure so he can sit near it and get his inner core up to at least 80F degrees. Also, the warmth will help the tortoise fight off infection).

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Janet and welcome from Texas! Glad you found us here! Would love to see pictures of Zippy and his enclosure