Hi Everyone! New with Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitney

5 Year Member
Hi!

My name is Whitney and I live in Michigan, USA. My fiance and I are expecting our first baby in May, and have no other animals right now.

I know this is for introductions, but I didn't see where else to post questions and so I hope this is OK to ask here. I apologize if this is not the right place!

So after a year of pestering from my fiance, I have agreed to consider buying a tortoise. There were some Russian ones at a petstore a year back that he admired and from that point on he has wanted one.
We had looked into them at the time, but it seemed like they were a lot of work and we didn't have the time for one back then. Now I am home most of the day and will have the time available to look after a more 'needy' animal. We don't want to buy one right now, but maybe in a few months or more. It'll probably be 4-6 months from now, if not later.

However, I am having some problems with this whole thing. I am reading a lot of different information from different sources and it is just confusing me. I do not want to provide a poor home for one, and since I will be doing most of the care, I want to know -exactly- what to do, etc...

How do I pick the right kind of tortoise for us?

We have humid summers (we are surrounded by lakes), cold winters with lots of snow. It gets pretty hot and can be sticky even indoors with the fans going (we do have an air conditioner but rarely use it). What type would thrive better in this type of environment?

I have yard access, but if we end up moving to an apartment in the future (the house we rent is being sold eventually by owners), is it possible to keep one indoors?

Must we immediatly have a tortoise table? I saw a tortoise box-type enclosure for sale, though it seems a bit small. Would it work for the time being, or should we try and build a much larger one? My fiance wants a very big one eventually (would prefer to start with a bigger one) but I assume a smaller one would be OK for now?

If keeping the tortoise indoors, can we allow him to roam around the room safely? It is carpeted. For grass access, can I buy a flat and plant some grass or something for him to access when he wants? I read that someone bought a very large litter box and planted grass in it and his tortoise would go onto it whenever he wanted (I believe this person lived in an apartment).

I know I will have many more questions, but I am mostly concerned about those I have asked, and humidity. I read that some tortoises need specific humidity levels? I have no idea how to create/maintain that with one. We have had snakes, lizards, geckos, etc, but never a turtle or a tortoise, and I found it easy to keep humidty in a glass tank. I am worried that we will end up harming one if we do not get everything exactly right. People seem to say that they are sensitive and such.

I would really appreciate some help getting started and being pointed in the right direction. My fiance is very excited and would get one today if he could, but I am making him wait until we learn more, LOL.

Anyways, I am very happy to find this forum and hope to get lots of information and get to know many of you. Again, sorry of this is not the correct place to ask these questions.

Whitney

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum, like you I had issue with all the different information from different sites. I have found this forum to be the best, because everyone one on here are owners and most with years of knowledge on tortoise care. I love this site and everyone is willing to help with any and all questions..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Whitney said:
Hi!

My name is Whitney and I live in Michigan, USA. My fiance and I are expecting our first baby in May, and have no other animals right now.

Welcome Whitney! :) Exciting, is this your first child for both of you? A ot of big changes coming your way.

I know this is for introductions, but I didn't see where else to post questions and so I hope this is OK to ask here. I apologize if this is not the right place!

Here will work since it is sorta an introduction another spot would have been the general area.If one of us Mods decide we don't like it were something is posted, it's no big deal, we will just move it. :cool:

So after a year of pestering from my fiance, I have agreed to consider buying a tortoise. There were some Russian ones at a petstore a year back that he admired and from that point on he has wanted one.
We had looked into them at the time, but it seemed like they were a lot of work and we didn't have the time for one back then. Now I am home most of the day and will have the time available to look after a more 'needy' animal. We don't want to buy one right now, but maybe in a few months or more. It'll probably be 4-6 months from now, if not later.

However, I am having some problems with this whole thing. I am reading a lot of different information from different sources and it is just confusing me. I do not want to provide a poor home for one, and since I will be doing most of the care, I want to know -exactly- what to do, etc...

To me, that's one of the worse things about tortoise or reptile ownership, the fact that there are so many completely different ways to do things. What is worse what works for person A may not work for person B. Plus we are still along way from really understanding these animals and what their needs are. We are all just learning as we go. I will say in here, you will find some of the best overall advice I have seen in any site. We do argue between ourselves as to what is best and that's okay too.

My advise is to read what is offered and then first think what sounds correct to you. Next try it and see how you and the tortoise you will have in the future seem to like it done. A good tortoise keepers is always tweaking and trying new ideas and things.:tort:

How do I pick the right kind of tortoise for us?

First think about what size your wanting. What size do you have room for. From there it is easier to look at your other perimeters and answer those questions.

We have humid summers (we are surrounded by lakes), cold winters with lots of snow. It gets pretty hot and can be sticky even indoors with the fans going (we do have an air conditioner but rarely use it). What type would thrive better in this type of environment?

See above about wanting to narrow down size preferences before going into the other details.

I have yard access, but if we end up moving to an apartment in the future (the house we rent is being sold eventually by owners), is it possible to keep one indoors?

It is possible to do so yes. It's best if they can get some outdoor time, however.

Must we immediatly have a tortoise table? I saw a tortoise box-type enclosure for sale, though it seems a bit small. Would it work for the time being, or should we try and build a much larger one? My fiance wants a very big one eventually (would prefer to start with a bigger one) but I assume a smaller one would be OK for now?

Depending on the species, size and age of the tortoise when you do get it, you may even be able to use a plastic tub to start out with or even a cement mixing tub.

If keeping the tortoise indoors, can we allow him to roam around the room safely? It is carpeted. For grass access, can I buy a flat and plant some grass or something for him to access when he wants? I read that someone bought a very large litter box and planted grass in it and his tortoise would go onto it whenever he wanted (I believe this person lived in an apartment).

Letting them run loose on your floors is a bad idea for four major reasons. First, it's normally chilly down there on the floor. Second lots of little things end up on floors that the tortoise may accidentally swallow, which could hurt him. Third the chemicals we use to clean our floors can be dangerous. Fourth, aren't you going to be having a baby crawling around on those same floors soon?

People do do the free roam in the house thing, but think carefully before doing it. It's just one of those risks I myself will not take.

I know I will have many more questions, but I am mostly concerned about those I have asked, and humidity. I read that some tortoises need specific humidity levels? I have no idea how to create/maintain that with one. We have had snakes, lizards, geckos, etc, but never a turtle or a tortoise, and I found it easy to keep humidty in a glass tank. I am worried that we will end up harming one if we do not get everything exactly right. People seem to say that they are sensitive and such.

This will end up depending upon what species you get, how old it is, and what the enclosure is like. You may even end up with it in one of those glass tanks.;) We will work you thru it and you can see how others handle the same issues you have concerns with in other threads. Just so much easier to do the first step first and narrow the possible tortoise list down to just two or three species first.

Don't worry about getting it all exactly right to start with. It's a learning and evolving situation, that you need to move from general recommendations and change to fit the needs of both you and your tortoise taking into consideration your own location and environment. Overall tortoises are usually pretty hardy. Otherwise, would they have survived for this many years?

Never worry about how many questions you ned to ask. We have no limits on the numbers. :p :D Besides, it's one of the main reasons we are here!

I would really appreciate some help getting started and being pointed in the right direction. My fiance is very excited and would get one today if he could, but I am making him wait until we learn more, LOL.

Anyways, I am very happy to find this forum and hope to get lots of information and get to know many of you. Again, sorry of this is not the correct place to ask these questions.

Whitney

Whitney I am glad your making him wait and doing the research first. :) I also know how hard the waiting can be. :p Once more, so glad you have joined us. :tort:

Whitney

5 Year Member
Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Well, to answer some questions: we'd prefer a smaller tortoise, possibly the smallest kind that would work with the environment we can provide. From what I have been reading (and forgive me if this is so off), but it seems maybe a Hermans or a Russian tortoise would do OK here? I'm not at all sure.

Also, yes, it is the first baby for us both :) We are very excited-- and nervous, LOL. We have an office that we would plan to keep the tortoise in, so no baby on the same floor as a tortoise. Thank you for letting me know about the crawling on the floor. At this time of year it is possible I would think to possibly give one outdoor time (it can still be a little cold though), but for winter months what would we do? Especially if roaming the floor isn't the best of ideas. Just thinking really, but if we were sure to remove everything off the floor (or even in a smaller area) and did not use a chemical cleaner, would that be an option for them to get some moving time? I assume they need time out of their enclosure? If not, then I would love to know what we could do instead :)

Thank you again for answering those questions for me. My fiance seemed to like the Hermans tortoise a lot, but I know he'd be very happy with any tortoise so he has left it up to me to pick the best one for us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Whitney:

Welcome to the forum!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Whitney said:
Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Well, to answer some questions: we'd prefer a smaller tortoise, possibly the smallest kind that would work with the environment we can provide. From what I have been reading (and forgive me if this is so off), but it seems maybe a Hermans or a Russian tortoise would do OK here? I'm not at all sure.

Both are great small tortoises! I think either would work well for you. Russians might be a tad easier, but it's not enough of a difference to use that as a deciding factor. Russians are also a little easier to locate, but once more finding the Hermanns would not be too hard. Would you have problems having the animal shipped to you?

Also, yes, it is the first baby for us both :) We are very excited-- and nervous, LOL. We have an office that we would plan to keep the tortoise in, so no baby on the same floor as a tortoise. Thank you for letting me know about the crawling on the floor. At this time of year it is possible I would think to possibly give one outdoor time (it can still be a little cold though), but for winter months what would we do? Especially if roaming the floor isn't the best of ideas. Just thinking really, but if we were sure to remove everything off the floor (or even in a smaller area) and did not use a chemical cleaner, would that be an option for them to get some moving time? I assume they need time out of their enclosure? If not, then I would love to know what we could do instead :)

Most of us, me included, live in areas where we can not keep our animals outside all year round. It's important that you give them as much time outdoors when you can. Inside we try to make an artificial world for them and UVB lighting would be important for both of these species. Giving them the largest inside area you can and then making as many micro environments with mentally and physically stimulating things helps greatly.

Obviously limiting the amount of harmful things and providing heating that will warm the floor area, all would make being on the floor better for them if you do choose to go that route.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I agree with Jacqui on all counts here.

Having recently been through what you are just about to go through, I would say wait until after your baby is born and things settle down for 6 months or a year. Your life is about to change in ways that cannot even be described and you don't need any more distractions. I think it would be best for the tortoise, your baby, you and your fiance to wait until you all settle into the new way of how things are going to be, before taking on the commitment of another mouth to feed.

Of course it is possible to do it right now, but I'm telling you, you are in for a huge whirlwind next month.

Good luck whatever you decide and good luck with your baby.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hello and congratulations,
welcome to the forum, you will find everything that you need to know on here-...

Whitney

5 Year Member
Thank you!

No, we could have a tortoise shipped. Is it a difficult thing to have done?

We are looking at tortoise table ideas. For the plants do we just get some grass growing or should we try and put other types in there too? And what are good types to have?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Whitney said:
Thank you!

No, we could have a tortoise shipped. Is it a difficult thing to have done?

We are looking at tortoise table ideas. For the plants do we just get some grass growing or should we try and put other types in there too? And what are good types to have?

Shipping is not hard, but can be nerve wracking. Usually it goes well. If you ever get to that point, we can give you more details on what to expect and do.

Have you checked out the enclosures section yet?

Plants kinda depend on what type and age of tortoise, what and how deep you substrate is, ect.., Are you wanting real or plastic/fabric? You can buy potted plants (and may want to keep them in their pots), seeds, ect.., You will get ideas looking at the enclosures threads and even the diet ones.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. You received great advice already. If you prefer smaller, Russians or Hermanns are good choices; they stay pretty small and have lots of personality. People say they're "hardier" tortoises too. A bookcase on its back lined with a pond liner is a good enclosure for one Russian/Hermanns.

Whitney

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone!

I have now browsed much of the enclosure section and got some really nice ideas. You all have such good setups!

I think we are leaning more towards a Hermanns. My fiance doesn't really mind though.

Again, I really appreciate the warm welcome and all of you taking the time to answer my questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.