Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Wan:

That's a real cute little sulcata. I'd like to suggest that you provide a bit more humidity for him. He looks a bit dry. Would it be possible for you to put down a substrate instead of the green carpet? Even moist dirt would be better than the carpet.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Also i would suggest a different water and food bowl one that he doesn't have to climb to get to his food and water

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
He's a cutie! I definitely suggest putting some real humidity holding substrate in there, he will love the burrowing ability!

kyy2003v

5 Year Member
korea
thank you suggestion ^^
i'd like change substrate
may be bark or hay

and how can i feeding this sulgata on everyday ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:) Read the threads at the bottom of my post. It will tell you about the temps and humidity your sulcata needs. Coconut coir or plain dirt is a good substrate to use.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hello Wan. You are from Korea, I like korea TV serials and KPOP!!

Your sulcata has nice color.

I think many people raise sulcata in 4 seasons country without problem, you just need to provide more heating element.
I like the little house hide, but as Yvonne said, you might want to use some substrate instead of carpet for him. I see you put some water containers to improve humidity, but the reading is still on 40%. Everyone in this forum now raising hatchling on around 80% humidity and higher humidity supposed you provide the enclosure with some humid hide. Please see the thread of raising sulcata hatchling for more information.

kyy2003v said:
thank you suggestion ^^
may be bark or hay

People don't like using hay here for worry of mold, especially you might want to use high humidity for hatchling.
I like coco coir for holding moisture and it's pretty easy for the hatchling to burrow in it. But you might want to bake or boil the coir prior to use to avoid mold growing.

For food, there is care sheet for raising sulcata and the food recommendation is there as well. But basically for grazer tort, I would give like 80% grass/hay and 20% greens. Variety is the best for torts and you can also give some pellets food like 2 times per week, 10-20% of his menu as supplement if you have good brand available there, like mazuri or zoomed. Try adding a bit calcium with vitamin D supplement like 3 times per week as it is winter there now. You don't need vitamin D supplement if you can get at least 1 - 2 hours sunlight per day for your sulcata.

kyy2003v

5 Year Member
korea
Yellow Turtle said:
Hello Wan. You are from Korea, I like korea TV serials and KPOP!!

Your sulcata has nice color.

I think many people raise sulcata in 4 seasons country without problem, you just need to provide more heating element.
I like the little house hide, but as Yvonne said, you might want to use some substrate instead of carpet for him. I see you put some water containers to improve humidity, but the reading is still on 40%. Everyone in this forum now raising hatchling on around 80% humidity and higher humidity supposed you provide the enclosure with some humid hide. Please see the thread of raising sulcata hatchling for more information.

kyy2003v said:
thank you suggestion ^^
may be bark or hay

People don't like using hay here for worry of mold, especially you might want to use high humidity for hatchling.
I like coco coir for holding moisture and it's pretty easy for the hatchling to burrow in it. But you might want to bake or boil the coir prior to use to avoid mold growing.

For food, there is care sheet for raising sulcata and the food recommendation is there as well. But basically for grazer tort, I would give like 80% grass/hay and 20% greens. Variety is the best for torts and you can also give some pellets food like 2 times per week, 10-20% of his menu as supplement if you have good brand available there, like mazuri or zoomed. Try adding a bit calcium with vitamin D supplement like 3 times per week as it is winter there now. You don't need vitamin D supplement if you can get at least 1 - 2 hours sunlight per day for your sulcata.

oh my god ..
i really stupid...
i learned korea sulgata forum to raising sulgata
there are many people raising 40~50% humidity.... ;;
i dont know what they did...

thank you suggestion
im going to reptile shop to buying coco coir
right now

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
kyy2003v said:
oh my god ..
i really stupid...
i learned korea sulgata forum to raising sulgata
there are many people raising 40~50% humidity.... ;;
i dont know what they did...

thank you suggestion
im going to reptile shop to buying coco coir
right now

No you are not :D
Actually it's the old method and belief people using to raise sulcata. They believe sulcata live in arid area so humidity is low. But now people here in this forum have used high humidity for the hatchlings. At least until they are around 15 - 20 cm and can handle to be put outdoor. Beware of the temperature if you use high humidity though, you need to keep it warm to avoid respiratory problem for your sulcata. You can seek Tom's thread for closed chamber method to raise sulcata hatchling.

Good luck :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wan, don't feel bad...many here had to learn the right way to raise sulcatas. Pet store workers think they know what they are doing, but they really don't. I had to learn the hard way about many things I was doing wrong with my sulcatas. My sulcatas were 9-10 months old before I found this forum. Think how stupid I felt...but, I read, and read, and read until I learned not only about sulcatas, but many other species too. Just remember to keep the 4 different temps within the enclosure. Also, the substrate should be able to maintain humidity (Coco coir + organic soil mix), and you may want to cover half or 3/4 of the enclosure to hold in the humidity; otherwise, the humidity goes right out again. Sulcatas need to have warm daily soaks of about 20-30 minutes, introduce cuttings of fine grass mixed with greens like collards, kale, spring mix. I don't think they have mazuri there, but if you have relatives here in the US, maybe you can ask them to ship you a bag of it. Finally, UVB is so important! Because of the cold winters there, you'd need to get a uvb bulb that can provide that to your torts. If they don't get it, they cannot metabolize the calcium they've eaten and it can cause terrible health issues for your sulcatas. All this may sound like a lot, but really, when you do it everyday, it becomes a routine that will make you and your sulcata happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.