Hermmans tortoise underweight?

Patrick123

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, I have a 9 year old Hermmans tortoise that is 16cm long and weighs 582 grams, according to the Jackson graph he is underweight by I have read other forums and some people think this weight is fine. I have starved him for 4 weeks as advised and now he is really trying to hibernate, what should I do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, have you measured the length of your tortoise accurately?

Here is how to do it
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

If your tortoise has a shorter SCL than you think then you may not have an underweight tortoise.

If the ratio is correct, then you get the lights on full and as bright as possible for 14 hours a day (use a timer), give a 30 minute soak in warm water every morning, make sure the temperatures are perfect and you stop starving this guy.

He needs warmth and feeding. You never hibernate an underweight tortoise. He will get sick, possibly die, if you let him.

Patrick123

England
Yes I measured him right

Ok I will do that but I don't understand how he got underweight he eats well all year round and he was starved correctly prior to hibernation

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
What was his weight before starvation? It's totally normal for them to be underweight with empty bowels.
Aside of that the Jackson ratio is not very reliable, a tortoise with a rather flat shell will always have a lower ratio than a tortoise with a higher domed shell.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes I measured him right

Ok I will do that but I don't understand how he got underweight he eats well all year round and he was starved correctly prior to hibernation

Normally the wind down is a fortnight, not 4 weeks. Well that’s what I have done over the last few decades. :)

And normally, you would have temperatures lower too. So a tort kept indoors would be without the basking lamp and CHE. If it continues to be fully active and not eating then weight loss can be very rapid.

I would get a fresh poop sample to a vet to check for parasites (worms) in case that is an issue.

Also, do double check the accuracy of your scales by weighing something like a full bag of sugar to make sure they’re not affecting this calculation too.

Do you weigh your tortoise regularly? Have you been monitoring its weight through the year. Weighing fortnightly is good practice.

Patrick123

England
Stupidly I didn't weigh him before starving him so I can't say, I normally weigh him every couple months or so which is when the last time I weighed him

For now I will just wake him up and keep him under his lamp and feed him over winter