Hermit crabs and Hermann's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
View attachment 17252

View attachment 17253

View attachment 17254

Meet Dora the male Equadorian hermit crab in the green shell next to the lighter and Sebastian the female purple pincher hermit crab in the ugly shell lol yes I know their names are backwards (didn't know Dora was a boy till I found out how to properly sex them) my question is can I house them with my Dalmatian Hermann's hatchlings whenbi get them?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I wouldn't even think of housing them together...Hermit crabs can pinch very hard (I know, I had them back in the day), and can bother and stress out your tortoises. Not to mention they are very different species with different care requirements and different germs and diseases that they could transmit to each other.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Pokeymeg said:
I wouldn't even think of housing them together...Hermit crabs can pinch very hard (I know, I had them back in the day), and can bother and stress out your tortoises. Not to mention they are very different species with different care requirements and different germs and diseases that they could transmit to each other.

Ok I'll keep them separate :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I've never kept tortoises and crabs together, but I've read here on TFO that some people do, and seem to like it because the crabs clean up after the tortoises, and don't bother them. Would anyone care to chime in on that?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would be concerned about them possibly injuring the hatchling

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I would be concerned about them possibly injuring the hatchling

I thought about that but they basically sleep all the time anyway. Anyway I've decided to keep the hermits in their own aquarium still :)

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm very interested to here in what owners who do keep crabs with their torts have to say.
I have the opportunity to take in some hermies from a very unpleasant situation, and if I could
consolidate tanks (one day when I actually have me leopard!) that would be neat.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have had them in with my leo's since hatchlings with out any probelms they seem to go about their own business :)

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I have some in with my Hermann's, some in with My Leopards and some with my sulcata, no problems at all. They are not aggressive creatures, I can not imagine them attacking a tortoise. I do not keep them with my Redfoots because my redfoots are 4 - 6"s and would probably try and snack on the crabs.

I have one Hermann that is constantly with the crabs trying to steal their food and redecorating the loose shells along with pushing over the branch they like to climb. I have seen the crabs climb all over the tortoises while their sleeping, I've seen them both eating from the food dish together. They actually interact quite well, the Hermit crabs are a lot more timid than the tortoises and will shell up when they see people, but have no fear of the tortoises.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Well I had hoped to use the aquarium the hermit crabs are in to put fish in instead for my son. :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
That's very interesting that people are keeping them together with no ill effects, I never would have expected that! What substrate do you (you folks who combine the crabs and torts!) use? Soil, sand? I imagine cypress mulch isn't the best for the crabs.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Pokeymeg said:
That's very interesting that people are keeping them together with no ill effects, I never would have expected that! What substrate do you (you folks who combine the crabs and torts!) use? Soil, sand? I imagine cypress mulch isn't the best for the crabs.

Well coco coir works really well for the hermits because they like tortoises require humidity :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I've never kept tortoises and crabs together, but I've read here on TFO that some people do, and seem to like it because the crabs clean up after the tortoises, and don't bother them. Would anyone care to chime in on that?

I've known folks who kept redfoots and hermit crabs together...no idea if it'd be OK in the case of hermits and Hermanns' torts, though, as redfoots and hermit crabs are native to similar climes and conditions (warm/humid) while European tortoises lean more towards arid conditions.

wildak

5 Year Member
Great info......

I have been thinking about this since reading an article someone here left a link to.

I had recently started mixing in earthworms in all my enclosures but I think it's too hot and they get funky so I'm going to get the African Nightcrawlers this summer that like the heat, breed like crazy and have a large appetite. It should help keep the soil clean and airated, and an occasional snack for some species.

I like the idea of the hermit crabs also as long as their not crushed by large tortoises or eaten by certain species like Redfoots or Manouria. My smaller Impressa's eat large snails like popcorn I think the big ones could crunch hermit crabs if they wanted to. I think they would likely just follow them around and watch them for an hour first.

I'm going to get a half dozen tonight for my stars and maybe video my impressa studying one.

Now what's the next exhibit cleaner we can think of that won't fly the coop??? Cocroaches lol.

Bryan

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wildak said:
Great info......

I have been thinking about this since reading an article someone here left a link to.

I had recently started mixing in earthworms in all my enclosures but I think it's too hot and they get funky so I'm going to get the African Nightcrawlers this summer that like the heat, breed like crazy and have a large appetite. It should help keep the soil clean and airated, and an occasional snack for some species.

I like the idea of the hermit crabs also as long as their not crushed by large tortoises or eaten by certain species like Redfoots or Manouria. My smaller Impressa's eat large snails like popcorn I think the big ones could crunch hermit crabs if they wanted to. I think they would likely just follow them around and watch them for an hour first.

I'm going to get a half dozen tonight for my stars and maybe video my impressa studying one.

Now what's the next exhibit cleaner we can think of that won't fly the coop??? Cocroaches lol.

Bryan

Tom might hook you up with some Hissing Roaches... :cool:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As far as keeping red-footed and hermits together- I've done it for almost three years now with no problems. The crabs pretty much leave the torts alone, and the torts sometimes nibble on the calcium-rich shells (I leave several extra shells around for the crabs and for the torts to gnaw on), and sometimes one of the torts will get a little aggressive towards a crab- but they are pretty well defended themselves and I have had no loses or injuries due to either species.

The climate for red-footeds is close enough to the climate needed by the typical pet shop crab that it is not a problem, and while cypress may not be the top substrate choice for them, it seems to work OK for mine.

wildak

5 Year Member
Well I have been reading up on hermit crabs, wow lots of flavors. I was thinking of matching the size of the crab with the tortoise. How big do they get ? Or I guess what size do you have with the redfoots Madkins ? Like tennis ball sized ?
Here's a cool site if you have friend nearby to split 50. http://www.tropicshells.com/live_crabs
I am looking for different climate ones but I doubt that their are any desert variety.

This is the biggest one I could find. May work for an Aldabra enclosure.

alaskanmoosetick.jpg

Hissing roaches lol yeah that would go over well.

What about dung beattles ? Hermit crabs, African Nightcrawlers and dung beatles, you have everything covered except something to clean and fill the water for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.