hermans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickfish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
london
Hi there ! new to the tort game,just got a female to go with the male both about 10 yrs old, she seems to be the one biting and chasing him is this a normal thing?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
First of all are you absolutely certain[i/] that the more recent tortoise is a female? Most of the time is it very obvious but I have a fully mature male here that has a smaller than normal tail and for a few years I assumed that it was a female until I saw it sucessfully copulating. Also, are you certain that the previous tortoise is absolutely a male?
Second, if it is a female and is larger, she may likely be acting aggressive because she is in a new environment and is trying to establish an immediate dominance over animals within her area.
It's not unheard of, but it is very unusual that a newly introduced female Hermann's is dominant over an already well established male Hermann's. Usually a male, especially one who is already very familiar and established in it's surroundings, will be all over any newly introduced females.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mickfish:

Welcome to the forum!!

(May we know your name?)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I think that was just an example of what we'd need for a photograph to sex the Hermanns Gary. :p

Danny

mickfish

5 Year Member
london
finleafeater said:
Hm, can we see photos of your females underside?
The photo should look like this:
photo2-1.jpg

Thanx for getting back, yes she looks like that she is def a female and the male is def male, he just enjoys bitting me then she bites him, its only first thing in the morning so maybe if im lucky he will start bitting her and cut me out

Status
Not open for further replies.