Hermann's owner, new to the forum

ChristineK

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh UK
Hi, I'm Christine, owner of a 6 yr old Hermann's tortoise, we've been advised she's probably female but we're not 100% on that one.

We've inherited / rescued her from a family member who was keeping her in less than ideal conditions I think. She was properly purchased, we have her paperwork, she has a microchip in her leg which is slightly mind-boggling, she's so small. We've updated her microchip paperwork with our details in case she gets lost!

We've now had her for 2 months and are ready to start making changes to how she is kept. To be fair we should probably have started making changes the day we got her but we were a bit overwhelmed with responsibility and options. We've read so much about the different options for enclosures, soil, food, plants, it's a bit mind boggling. She's definitely livelier now than she was when she first came, she seems to respond to the brighter days as much as the heat, she's less active on overcast days.

She currently lives in an open tortoise table with see-through plastic sides, approx 1m x 0.5m which I'm guessing is too small so getting something bigger has to be a priority but we want to be sure we're buying the right thing.

We live in Edinburgh, Scotland, so realistically she's going to have to be inside for much of the year I think and her home is going to have to be the best it can be to keep her happy indoors. We also have a lot of cats and foxes in the garden so if she was outside it would need to be in something bombproof to keep her safe.

She arrived with a tiny water bowl in her enclosure but we've been giving her a bath most days in a big deep bowl, most times she lies there quite happily for ages, sometimes she climbs straight out.

I think we need to do something about her soil now, even before we buy a new enclosure. It's so dry. It's those block things that you soak in water but it dries out so quickly and we're not sure yet how to get the right balance between keeping it moist and preventing it getting mouldy. That needs to be a priority I think.

I'm off now to browse the tortoise enclosures forum and see what tips we can pick up.

Nice to meet you all.

Attachments

• 20220222_155936.jpg
    20220222_155936.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Christine and welcome,
Thank you for giving this tort a better home.
At 6 years old he is going to need an enclosure about 4 x 8 feet.
If you put a mini greenhouse over it it will help contain and control heat and humidity.
Soil isn't a good substrate but this is the up to date caresheet which will tell you all about best substrates, diet, temps and lamps needed etc. It's aimed at babies but most of the conditions needed stay the same. Avoid sandy substrates, anything with little white bits and pellets.

You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful for finding good foods.

Terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate make great water dishes and if they are big enough for her to lie in she will self soak. Soaking in shallow warm water is a good way to hydrate them and if she starts to struggle to get out you'll find she may poop in it which makes it easy to dispose of.

Pet shops usually sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment so if you want to check here before buying anything we could save you some money and hassle.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves excitedly*

Hi and welcome! It's ok that you waited a bit to get more comfortable. It's a lot to take in at once. Baby steps are just fine.

I wish we could hear you and your accent. Lol If you get bored, come on over to chat and let me get to know ya better.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, I'm Christine, owner of a 6 yr old Hermann's tortoise, we've been advised she's probably female but we're not 100% on that one.

We've inherited / rescued her from a family member who was keeping her in less than ideal conditions I think. She was properly purchased, we have her paperwork, she has a microchip in her leg which is slightly mind-boggling, she's so small. We've updated her microchip paperwork with our details in case she gets lost!

We've now had her for 2 months and are ready to start making changes to how she is kept. To be fair we should probably have started making changes the day we got her but we were a bit overwhelmed with responsibility and options. We've read so much about the different options for enclosures, soil, food, plants, it's a bit mind boggling. She's definitely livelier now than she was when she first came, she seems to respond to the brighter days as much as the heat, she's less active on overcast days.

She currently lives in an open tortoise table with see-through plastic sides, approx 1m x 0.5m which I'm guessing is too small so getting something bigger has to be a priority but we want to be sure we're buying the right thing.

We live in Edinburgh, Scotland, so realistically she's going to have to be inside for much of the year I think and her home is going to have to be the best it can be to keep her happy indoors. We also have a lot of cats and foxes in the garden so if she was outside it would need to be in something bombproof to keep her safe.

She arrived with a tiny water bowl in her enclosure but we've been giving her a bath most days in a big deep bowl, most times she lies there quite happily for ages, sometimes she climbs straight out.

I think we need to do something about her soil now, even before we buy a new enclosure. It's so dry. It's those block things that you soak in water but it dries out so quickly and we're not sure yet how to get the right balance between keeping it moist and preventing it getting mouldy. That needs to be a priority I think.

I'm off now to browse the tortoise enclosures forum and see what tips we can pick up.

Nice to meet you all.
Ps the soil you have is probably coco coir (not earth as I was thinking). That is one of the better substrates, or fine orchid bark (you could use both with a layer of orchid bark on top to cut down on mess). I believe you just pour in water in the corner and mix it by hand. The enclosure needs to be lined so it doesn't rot. The caresheet covers all that.