Hermanns old not eating

kirk.s

Location (City and/or State)
Romford
Hi I have a 6 month old Hermanns tortoise..purchased 3 days ago with full set up. He seems to pace up and down for about an hour then bury himself in the hemp bedding. I have the same.feed they used in the shop and have put a few fruits and salad bits out but still nothing.
Is there anything I should be doing or do they take a while to settle in?
Any advice would help thanks 1000042289.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi I have a 6 month old Hermanns tortoise..purchased 3 days ago with full set up. He seems to pace up and down for about an hour then bury himself in the hemp bedding. I have the same.feed they used in the shop and have put a few fruits and salad bits out but still nothing.
Is there anything I should be doing or do they take a while to settle in?
Any advice would help thanks View attachment 368173
Tortoises do not like change and it often takes them several days or even up to a month to start eating after they have been moved to a new environment. Just keep offering the tortoise various foods and it will eventually start to eat (assuming it has no health issues).

Soak it in lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes each morning and then put it down in front of a pile of food. Sooner or later, it will begin to eat. Make sure you are watching it while it is soaking so that it does not overturn itself and drown.

You also must make sure it is warm enough in the enclosure to make the tortoise remain active. This means about 26 C at night and 30-31 C in the daytime.

Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He should be in a closed chamber with a basking area of 95-100F with an incandescent flood bulb.
Uvb from a tube florescent and not be fed fruit
Humidity should be 80% in the closed chamber.
Bedding should be orchid bark fir bark or coconut coir not hemp.
The disc used for temp is not good you need a digital
Water dish should be big enough he can get into it completely and self soak.
Make changes ASAP.

kirk.s

Romford
Tortoises do not like change and it often takes them several days or even up to a month to start eating after they have been moved to a new environment. Just keep offering the tortoise various foods and it will eventually start to eat (assuming it has no health issues).

Soak it in lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes each morning and then put it down in front of a pile of food. Sooner or later, it will begin to eat. Make sure you are watching it while it is soaking so that it does not overturn itself and drown.

You also must make sure it is warm enough in the enclosure to make the tortoise remain active. This means about 26 C at night and 30-31 C in the daytime.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the info I was starting to get really worried, I'll give it a few more weeks and see how he gets on 👍

kirk.s

Romford
He should be in a closed chamber with a basking area of 95-100F with an incandescent flood bulb.
Make changes ASAP.
Thanks for the advice. I have got a digital thermostat today and will check both ends of his enclosure. The bulb is both uav and heat so I won't if it's not sufficient enough. Will let you know any outcome

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I welcome, please read this to help you check set up.
Please ask questions as required...

kirk.s

Romford
Make changes ASAP.
So I did as you said apart form an closed enclosure. That will take a little time to make.
But I now have orchid bark and coco coir as a bedding.
The temp was too low as you said. I not have 2 heat and uav lamps. Both double bulb and now the temp sits at 96 f
The water bowl and food bowl of swapped so he can completey submerge and I've already seen him eating after the changes I have made so far. Thanks so much 👍

Attachments

• 20240322_164713.jpg
    20240322_164713.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I guess it was overlooked. That water dish is a flipping hazard. A clay saucer works best and is much easier for them to get in and out of.