Hermann tortoise table set up questions

Piers Cresswell

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall UK
Hi I am seeking help about Sancho's table as I am reading the forums and am getting panicked that I am letting the poor little guy down :(

I have attached some photos to help you give advice (please excuse the state of the room), Sancho is in his favourite sleeping spot!

Any help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated. I am online right now buying coconut coir, IR temp gun, Digital Hygrometer and low energy tubular heater (80W) to pimp his table.

1. I am using topsoil only for substrate which is hard to keep moist hence buying the coconit coir. I was going to mix it with the soil is this the right way to go? Should I get some Moss?
2. I am finding it really hard to keep the table humid. I was thinking of making a humid hide out of a big tupperware tub, is this a good idea? How else can I increase humidity?
3. He rarely uses the covered area at the end of the table, is it worth having a covered area like this?
4.is there anything else you would suggest at all for his home? I will continue to check the forums but any advice you can give me here would be much appreciated!
5. Finally, slightly off topic, Sancho has been very lethargic recently. He wakes up every morning and eats his food but doesnt move about like he used to a few weeks ago. He barely seems to move (I base this on his waterbowls appreaing to be untouched). Is this something I should worry about? I thought it may be temp related hence the heater.

Sorry for TL;DR message Im just concerned for the little feller!

IMG_20160114_201430824.jpg IMG_20160114_201541147.jpg IMG_20160114_201520954.jpg IMG_20160114_201505948.jpg IMG_20160114_201454900.jpg

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I had a table and had the same trouble.
I think the only way to fix humidity is to cover the top (I used plexi glass)

And as for him being lethargic, I also went through this.
I fixed it by knocking up the heat a bit and changing the substrate (it was drying out)

Sorry, I'm not much help but I'm sure there will be some more experienced people come along soon!

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
Thanks for the reply. I was just reading something that warned against a covered table but I was also thinking this would be the only way to improve humidity.

Definitely changing the substrate because it just keeps turning to dust with very regular spraying. What substrate do you use now?

Im pretty sure its too cold for him however the temps didnt seem to much higher when he was more active. He seems to respond a lot to people being around but I dont know if this is for good or bad reasons (i.e. Stress). Oh the

P.s. I was reading your Spud diary the other day (sorry I forgot what the thread was called) and ir was great :). I considered calling Sancho Spud for a while and since reading that thread my gf has started calling him spud (i think she prefers that name)!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply. I was just reading something that warned against a covered table but I was also thinking this would be the only way to improve humidity.

Definitely changing the substrate because it just keeps turning to dust with very regular spraying. What substrate do you use now?

Im pretty sure its too cold for him however the temps didnt seem to much higher when he was more active. He seems to respond a lot to people being around but I dont know if this is for good or bad reasons (i.e. Stress). Oh the

P.s. I was reading your Spud diary the other day (sorry I forgot what the thread was called) and ir was great :). I considered calling Sancho Spud for a while and since reading that thread my gf has started calling him spud (i think she prefers that name)!
Hehe thanks :)

I also read that closed chambers are bad, that's why I went for a table. This information is outdated and wrong, a lot of us here also followed it.
Spud then started to pyramid, so I covered half of his enclosure until I made him his closed enclosure. Unless you keep the whole room humid, I think that's the only way o_O

He's a real cutie btw :)

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
Haha, thanks I think so too. Spud is real cute too!

So the table advice is outdated? Thats a pain! I live pretty close to the eden project maybe I should smuggle sancho in there while Im at work :)

I was reading hermanii Chris' care sheet and now have also put in orders for orchid bark and cypress mulch. I will also start by at least covering his enclosure at night to try and increase humidity.

Given the suspended light im using I imagine it would be dangerous to cover the table in perspex during the day as the temps would go crazy but I think I will cover part at least as you suggest.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Haha, thanks I think so too. Spud is real cute too!

So the table advice is outdated? Thats a pain! I live pretty close to the eden project maybe I should smuggle sancho in there while Im at work :)

I was reading hermanii Chris' care sheet and now have also put in orders for orchid bark and cypress mulch. I will also start by at least covering his enclosure at night to try and increase humidity.

Given the suspended light im using I imagine it would be dangerous to cover the table in perspex during the day as the temps would go crazy but I think I will cover part at least as you suggest.
I covered 2/3 of mine when I had it and left the bit under the light open, this meant that he could get his uv and the heat wouldn't rise too much, seemed to work ok.

Your other option is to make a good humid hide with sphagnum moss. I tried this but spud just kept eating the moss.

I'm even looking at humidifiers, just to put on for a few minutes every evening. :)

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
I was just reading some of the back catalouge of Spud's daily posts and saw his table set up. I just had a few questions about the cover you have over his table.

Does the plexiglass cover the whole of the table? Does the light shining down on it cause any problems? Have you drilled holes in it at all (or are those vents built into the walls)? What is the depth of his enclosure? Sancho'sometimes table is about a foot deep so I was thinking that laying a cover directly over it may impair some of his climbing if he feeling particularly adventurous!

I think I will buy a sheet of it today to put over Sancho's home. Is there anything else I should bear in mind when getting it?

Apologies for the barrage of questions!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I was just reading some of the back catalouge of Spud's daily posts and saw his table set up. I just had a few questions about the cover you have over his table.

Does the plexiglass cover the whole of the table? Does the light shining down on it cause any problems? Have you drilled holes in it at all (or are those vents built into the walls)? What is the depth of his enclosure? Sancho'sometimes table is about a foot deep so I was thinking that laying a cover directly over it may impair some of his climbing if he feeling particularly adventurous!

I think I will buy a sheet of it today to put over Sancho's home. Is there anything else I should bear in mind when getting it?

Apologies for the barrage of questions!
Spud no longer has a table, his setup is like this now:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452940727.124669.jpg
The glass will cover the whole front, he has some vents in the back.

When I had his table, I covered 3/4 of it (leaving under the lights open as the plexi glass blocks out uv)
Spuds table was not that deep (sorry, don't have a tape measure)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452940874.167717.jpg
Spud also loves to climb and I found that covering it didn't limit his ability to do so.

Covering it helps to hold the heat as well.

His new enclosure will eventually be covered at the front fully (just getting more glass cut) he has cents at the back for ventilation.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452941018.526095.jpg

You can see that spud has minor pyramiding but since changing enclosures you can see it is now coming in smoother.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452941097.563284.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452941115.202100.jpg

Hope this helps! :D

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
Haha spud doesnt look very impressed about his flying lesson :)

Just bought a sheet of clear acrylic to pop on top. Thanks for the advice, I am now going to start planning a enclosure like the one you have build for spud as I am noticing the ridges on his shell like spud has. I think I have been leaving his home far too dry :(

Out of interest what are the dimensions on spuds new home and how do you access it? Any other tips on planning or building it would be greatly appreciated!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Haha spud doesnt look very impressed about his flying lesson :)

Just bought a sheet of clear acrylic to pop on top. Thanks for the advice, I am now going to start planning a enclosure like the one you have build for spud as I am noticing the ridges on his shell like spud has. I think I have been leaving his home far too dry :(

Out of interest what are the dimensions on spuds new home and how do you access it? Any other tips on planning or building it would be greatly appreciated!
It's good that you have caught the ridges early. When he's older it will probably be nearly noticeable if you fix the humidity.

I bought a vivarium online as it was cheaper then buying all the wood.
I then just made the bottom bit deeper so he can have plenty of substrate.

Sorry, I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head and I have misplaced my tape measure. I know it's 3 foot long.

Another option is to build a frame around your enclosure and cover it.
Some members have even bought pop up greenhouses to put the enclosure in :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
It's good that you have caught the ridges early. When he's older it will probably be nearly noticeable if you fix the humidity.

I bought a vivarium online as it was cheaper then buying all the wood.
I then just made the bottom bit deeper so he can have plenty of substrate.

Sorry, I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head and I have misplaced my tape measure. I know it's 3 foot long.

Another option is to build a frame around your enclosure and cover it.
Some members have even bought pop up greenhouses to put the enclosure in :)

8x4ft is recommended for indoor housing, though smaller for juveniles is good. (from what I've read)

your doing well and great job doing your homework:). your little solar powered friend will be grateful:)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
8x4ft is recommended for indoor housing, though smaller for juveniles is good. (from what I've read)

your doing well and great job doing your homework:). your little solar powered friend will be grateful:)
Yeah, it is a bit on the small side, I will need to upgrade as soon as I have a bigger space to put him.
He will have a large outdoor area as soon as the weather warms up. :)

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
He sure is! And spuds mum is named lucky lady for having a little guy as charismatic as him :D

Thanks very much for the help and support. Sancho is also thankfully, I'm sure he will love his home improvements.