Hermann Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk
Please could someone tell me if my 2 hermanns are the same subspecies or different.
Here are 2 pix of their underside. many thanx.

male.jpg

female.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The first tortoise is a definite Testudo hermanni boettgeri. The 2nd tortoise could possibly be a Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis as I cannot see if it has inguinal scutes or not. Can you post a close up of the area I have circled in your photo?

female.jpg

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
thanx for that Chris. they are still hibernating so i will get another pic when i wake them up. i thought there were only 2 species of hermanni...
Hermanni Boettgeri and Hermanni Hermanni... or is that another name for hercegovinensis??

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
There are currently 3 different subspecies, Testudo hermanni hermanni, Testudo hermanni boettgeri and Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. If they are in fact different subspecies I would advise that you do keep them separate to avoid cross-breeding.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
HermanniChris said:
There are currently 3 different subspecies, Testudo hermanni hermanni, Testudo hermanni boettgeri and Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. If they are in fact different subspecies I would advise that you do keep them separate to avoid cross-breeding.

Unless of course they are the same sex! hehehe (of which I cant tell from the pics anyways!) lol
5a9a7e51.gif
5a9a7e51.gif
5a9a7e51.gif
5a9a7e51.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.