herman enclosure substrate

Victoriab

Location (City and/or State)
England
i need advice about herman tortoise substrate. im currently using a Komodo Tropical Terrain Compact Brick which hasnt been a very good substrate because when my tortoise walks on it it kind of like moves so then she basically walks to the bottom of the enclosure (idk how to explain). due to this she only stays on her slate and avoids walking on it. does anyone know any good substrates i could get on amazon? thanks x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
What you want is 'fine grade fir bark,' also known as 'orchid bark' and is also sold as ZooMed Reptibark. You want at least 3-4" of substrate. What you have now is not enough. Alternatively, you could use the coco coir like what you have, but you'd need a lot more. The Reptibark is a lot less mess.

Here's a longer description of the care info. Compare it against your current setup:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i need advice about herman tortoise substrate. im currently using a Komodo Tropical Terrain Compact Brick which hasnt been a very good substrate because when my tortoise walks on it it kind of like moves so then she basically walks to the bottom of the enclosure (idk how to explain). due to this she only stays on her slate and avoids walking on it. does anyone know any good substrates i could get on amazon? thanks x
The stuff you have is fine, but you need a 3-4 inch layer of it, it must be kept damp, and you have to hand pack it to keep the mess down. Having a thin dry dusty layer is not good for your tortoise.

The stuff you are using is what I prefer for babies, but admittedly, it can be messy. Once they reach 3-4 inches, that is when I move them to the fine grade orchid bark that Team Zissou recommended.