Help with red foot tortoise care

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
any recommendations?

would you say orchid bark or reptibark for bedding
Orchid bark (bark for planting orchids) and Reptibark - are the same thing. It's aged or cured fir tree bark. Reptibark is just sold in the pet stores and more expensive.

You may get orchid bark from garden stores, but make sure it's not a pine bark, doesn't have colorants or additives and is not a soil/bark mix.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
As for the enclosure recommendations, I would go with the largest plastic boxes you can find. 40-60 gallons is a minimum and at least 1 feet high, but I would double these numbers. This will help you to get started and carefully think out further steps.

minicini

California
As for the enclosure recommendations, I would go with the largest plastic boxes you can find. 40-60 gallons is a minimum and at least 1 feet high, but I would double these numbers. This will help you to get started and carefully think out further steps.
or would a 80 gallon box with a window display be better?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
i decided on these

https://a.co/d/92qUdpv good place for red foots?
If you put it on the side, so you can access the enclosure from the front, not from the top - it could work for a while (1-2 years). Then you can add another box to double the space and get another couple of years. It depends on tortoise growth, of course. 6-inch tortoise doesn't really fit in the 6x3 ft enclosure.

Make sure to get some duct tape and a shower curtain as well - you will need to seal all seams and the bottom of the enclosure.

As for the window - tortoise will not really need them, but you'll be missing the opportunity to watch him. That was the primary reason for me to redo my enclosure. However, you can get some small plexiglass sheets and attach them to the lid later.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Why should you not put hatchlings together?
Pairs of tortoises are the worst cases of group dynamics. It's either neverending fight for the territory or silent bullying of a one tortoise. It's always a stress for both. This results in slower growth, developing sexual maturity and weaker immunity and possible death of one or both. You may find a recent thread, where one redfoot male seriously injured a female after 15 years of living together, just as an example.

In large enclosures with 3 or more tortoises they can build a hierarchy and bullying focus can shift from one to another, so it doesn't depress them much. One could argue that redfoots are "more social" and can be seen together in the wild. That's partially true: you can see them near rich food sources like fruit trees or animal carrion, but you see them in groups, not in pairs. Most of the time they are on their own and pretty happy with it.

Tortoises are solitary, they don't need friends and don't really miss their keepers. So keeping them separate is for their good and wellfare.

ktwilliams

Thailand
Pairs of tortoises are the worst cases of group dynamics. It's either neverending fight for the territory or silent bullying of a one tortoise. It's always a stress for both. This results in slower growth, developing sexual maturity and weaker immunity and possible death of one or both. You may find a recent thread, where one redfoot male seriously injured a female after 15 years of living together, just as an example.

In large enclosures with 3 or more tortoises they can build a hierarchy and bullying focus can shift from one to another, so it doesn't depress them much. One could argue that redfoots are "more social" and can be seen together in the wild. That's partially true: you can see them near rich food sources like fruit trees or animal carrion, but you see them in groups, not in pairs. Most of the time they are on their own and pretty happy with it.

Tortoises are solitary, they don't need friends and don't really miss their keepers. So keeping them separate is for their good and wellfare.
Thanks, I guess I will be setting up a new enclosure. My plan for these two was outside as I live in the subtropics of SE Asia. My enclosure for their adult size was 6 meters by 6 meters or 20ft by 20ft. Could they stay together then with lots of hides blinds etc?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks, I guess I will be setting up a new enclosure. My plan for these two was outside as I live in the subtropics of SE Asia. My enclosure for their adult size was 6 meters by 6 meters or 20ft by 20ft. Could they stay together then with lots of hides blinds etc?
That's a really good sized enclosure. However, a pair of males or a male-female pair will definitely need to be separated. With female-female risks are lower, but I would not try and wait what could happen. 6x3 meters is still a good sized space, especially with hides, plants and sight barriers.