Help with red foot tortoise care

minicini

Location (City and/or State)
California
I am about to get 2 baby red foot tortoises, any tips and advice for them? And what is a good enclosure?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
will a plastic container work? they will be at my living room
First thing don't put them together ever. Hatchlings need minimum of 4x2x2 enclosure. A Rubbermaid tote will work it will need to be closed up to maintain humidity and temperature. Temp should be 80-84° all the time and humidity above 80% all the time.
Substrate fur bark works the best. I use reptibark lower half of bark will need to be damp but not swimming in water. Top layer should be dry. To achieve this pour a cup of hot water in the corners of the enclosure. Lighting should be a 65 watt flood bulb or the led equivalent in the 5500K to 6500K range. UVA light should be a T5 10.0HO bulb. Heating should be a ceramic heat emitter 100 watt on a thermostat controller.

Last edited:

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
The easiest enclosure would probably be the one from animal plastics. But it's expensive. Other members here have have built their enclosures and put a pop-up greenhouse over them to maintain temperature and humidity. This is my enclosure 20231016_205906.jpg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!

Most key points were outlined above. And here is a couple of post to read as well:
1. The very basics of tortoise care and common mistakes: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
2. An easy to read and accurate care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/

The enclosures can be made of christmas tree plastic storage boxes, hydroponic grow tents, outdoor closets, bookcases, kiddie pools and garden beds with a lid or portable greenhouse over it and other similar things. The main criteria is a closed top (to retain heat and humidity), you don't want a tropical paradise (86F and dripping wet) in your living room :)

minicini

California
First thing don't put them together ever. Hatchlings need minimum of 4x2x2 enclosure. A Rubbermaid tote will work it will need to be closed up to maintain humidity and temperature. Temp should be 80-84° all the time and humidity above 80% all the time.
Substrate fur bark works the best. I use reptibark lower half of bark will need to be damp but not swimming in water. Top layer should be dry. To achieve this pour a cup of hot water in the corners of the enclosure. Lighting should be a 65 watt flood bulb or the led equivalent in the 5500K to 6500K range. UVA light should be a T5 10.0HO bulb. Heating should be a ceramic heat emitter 100 watt on a thermostat controller.
what should be the bedding?

minicini

California
Hello!

Most key points were outlined above. And here is a couple of post to read as well:
1. The very basics of tortoise care and common mistakes: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
2. An easy to read and accurate care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/

The enclosures can be made of christmas tree plastic storage boxes, hydroponic grow tents, outdoor closets, bookcases, kiddie pools and garden beds with a lid or portable greenhouse over it and other similar things. The main criteria is a closed top (to retain heat and humidity), you don't want a tropical paradise (86F and dripping wet) in your living room :)
if i put a lid on, aren’t they not going to have oxygen? i’m planning to get a enclosure on amazon

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
if i put a lid on, aren’t they not going to have oxygen? i’m planning to get a enclosure on amazon
Don't worry, no risks here:
1. You won't have 100% hermetic enclosure - there always be some holes (for the wires, for example).
2. You will open it from time to time - to change water, do spot cleaning, feed them and so.
3. They don't require as much oxygen as we do.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Personal I wouldn't waste your money on those. They're not correct for a redfoot and you will have a long journey ahead of you trying to keep it at the right temp and humidity. I started with one of those because of bad information from outside sources. Also make sure you use a terracotta saucer for the water dish.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
These enclosures have some "well-known" problems:
1. There are small and as such suitable for hatchlings only (1-2 years at max).
2. They made of wood and may rot and degrade quickly in high humidity environment.
3. They are open-topped
4. They are low profile (13 inches, if not mistaken) and because of that you can't just drop lightning and heating on the mesh top.

Some problems can be addressed though:
1. You can use tin foil, plexiglass over meshed part or greenhouse top to cover the enclosure. This will help to keep humidity and heat inside.
2. You will need to carefully select lights and heaters suitable for low height.
3. Line the bottom with a shower curtain to protect wood from rot.
I feel they don't worth the hassle because of their size (simply put it's not a future-proof investment).

minicini

California
These enclosures have some "well-known" problems:
1. There are small and as such suitable for hatchlings only (1-2 years at max).
2. They made of wood and may rot and degrade quickly in high humidity environment.
3. They are open-topped
4. They are low profile (13 inches, if not mistaken) and because of that you can't just drop lightning and heating on the mesh top.

Some problems can be addressed though:
1. You can use tin foil, plexiglass over meshed part or greenhouse top to cover the enclosure. This will help to keep humidity and heat inside.
2. You will need to carefully select lights and heaters suitable for low height.
3. Line the bottom with a shower curtain to protect wood from rot.
I feel they don't worth the hassle because of their size (simply put it's not a future-proof investment).
which should i get?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I keep 1 (1) young RedFoot here...it is 6 feet long by 2.5 feet across. It stays consistantly 85% with 85 to 90% humidity...there is fine grade orchid bark for substrate, at one end is a ceramic heat emitter in the middle is a black light bulb and a chick brooder panel at the other, there are house plants, exotic plants, rocks, wood, hides and a paint roller pan for a soaking thing...

DSCN2331.JPG
the newly renamed LaylaDSCN1340.JPG
this is the brooder panel...it's on a rehostat...DSCN1711.JPG
you can see the humidity hereDSCN1241.JPG
She loves pointing out her empty food dishDSCN1713.JPG

minicini

California
Don't worry, no risks here:
1. You won't have 100% hermetic enclosure - there always be some holes (for the wires, for example).
2. You will open it from time to time - to change water, do spot cleaning, feed them and so.
3. They don't require as much oxygen as we do.
what about in the night?

minicini

California
Neither of the 2 you posted
any recommendations?
I keep 1 (1) young RedFoot here...it is 6 feet long by 2.5 feet across. It stays consistantly 85% with 85 to 90% humidity...there is fine grade orchid bark for substrate, at one end is a ceramic heat emitter in the middle is a black light bulb and a chick brooder panel at the other, there are house plants, exotic plants, rocks, wood, hides and a paint roller pan for a soaking thing...

View attachment 366121
the newly renamed LaylaView attachment 366122
this is the brooder panel...it's on a rehostat...View attachment 366123
you can see the humidity hereView attachment 366125
She loves pointing out her empty food dishView attachment 366126
would you say orchid bark or reptibark for bedding

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
what about in the night?
There should be enough oxygen to sleep through the night, because tortoise enclosures should be spacious - they need space to roam.

Of course, if you stuff your tortoise in a 1 gallon Tupperware container with an airtight lid - there will be the real risk of suffocation. But we are talking about 40 gallon storage boxes (they aren't airtight).