help with i.d

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayhawker

5 Year Member
can any one help me ident these guys ? they are being offered to me in a trade but the fella dont remember what they were all im told is there land torts and told they get very big in the pix they look like box turts to me sorry for pictures but there the pics that were sent to me

heres the pictures i have of them

Attachments

• tort unknown.jpg
    tort unknown.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 49
  • unknown torts.jpg
    unknown torts.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 43
  • tort unknown.jpg
    tort unknown.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 33

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Those are all three-toed box turtles, Carolina triunguis. I keep several of this species here in Texas. I'm not sure where you're from, so they may not be native to your area. They love areas that receive fair amounts of rainfall and humidity. As adults they will eat greens, fruits, insects, and worms. I keep mine in a large shaded outside enclosure. They thrive much better outside since they love to hide, dig for food, and move from place to place. They are most active in the morning and at dusk. There are several box turtle care sheets out there on the internet. Just ask all your questions here and you will get great answers from others on the forum that keep them as well. When you can, post some better pictures of the plastron, face, tail, and rear feet. This will help us to be able to tell their gender. Good luck with them!

-Matt

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree that they look like Three-toed box turtles, Terrapene carolina triunguis. That single animal though looks like it has an Ornate box turtle's, Terrapene ornata ornata, head stuck on a Three-toed's body. Very strange.

Danny

flyinghome

5 Year Member
three-toed turtles? but I see on the first pic that it has five toes!
I am new.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
All box turtles have 5 claws on the front feet. What you count are the back claws. :)

Danny

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
and some 3 toed box turtles could have 4 toes on the back foot, but most have 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.