Help! tortoise Table needs to cure!

Gooch

Hi guys, so It has been 6 days since I put my last coat of polyurethane on my tort table. I let it air out in our 50 degree basement for about 5 days then I brought it up to my room. The polyurethane I was using says that the dry times are based on 77 degrees F and 50% humidity. So it was in a cold basement for 5 days. I was planning to put my tortoise in it tomorrow, but my whole room smells like polyurethane and I am worried that he will be exposed to the fumes. I don't know what to do to help it cure faster, and my parents refuse to put it anywhere else except my room, where my tortoise is in now. I hope you guys can understand my situation, and maybe i am just worrying too much, but if I could have some feedback as soon as possible that would be great. Thanks!

Gooch

If I could have so on feedback before tomorrow afternoon when I am planning on setting it up. @Markw84 or somebody else

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would be concerned if it has been sitting at 50f. It needs higher temps to dry/ cure. If it hasn't had a chance to properly dry your biggest issue will be the substrate will tend to stick to the polyurethane it won't have that hard resistant surface. The fumes would still be a bit too much for me to use yet as well. Can you put a space heater in your room for a day or two and get it to 75-80f and see how it cures?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I would be concerned if it has been sitting at 50f. It needs higher temps to dry/ cure. If it hasn't had a chance to properly dry your biggest issue will be the substrate will tend to stick to the polyurethane it won't have that hard resistant surface. The fumes would still be a bit too much for me to use yet as well. Can you put a space heater in your room for a day or two and get it to 75-80f and see how it cures?

I would definitely wait a little while longer. Like Mark said above, it will not fully cure at the cooler temperatures and then you're putting your animal in some risk. I think bringing it up in your room is a good thing, warm temps, better air flow, it will definitely speed up your process. Good luck!

Gooch

The problem is that my cat always want to sit on my tortoises cage and i am worried he will knock over something like a heat lamp or even break through the top and hurt my tort! I cant leave my door open to my room. I might be able to get the heat up a little bit and I could put a fan on it so it can air out faster. Right now my room stinks of polyurethane fumes. How long do you guys think i will have to wait if my room is at 63 degrees F with good air flow? @Stuart S. @Markw84

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Sometimes when polyurethane is put on too thick or humidity was too high when it was applied it will never fully cure.
If after sitting in warmer room, and having it hit with a fan for 4 days, if its not dry to the touch, you can try wiping it down with some acetone.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The problem is that my cat always want to sit on my tortoises cage and i am worried he will knock over something like a heat lamp or even break through the top and hurt my tort! I cant leave my door open to my room. I might be able to get the heat up a little bit and I could put a fan on it so it can air out faster. Right now my room stinks of polyurethane fumes. How long do you guys think i will have to wait if my room is at 63 degrees F with good air flow? @Stuart S. @Markw84
Gooch, I'm really sorry for your problems. I agree with Steven above.

You've had about 5-6 threads on this so far, and in each one I have always gone back to warning you to read and follow the manufacturer's directions on application - temp and humidity being a key factor. I try to avoid painting and finishing products this time of year where I live, and that's central CA !! It's just too cold and humid this time of year to get paints to dry / cure properly. If I do have to do something, I set up a heater in my smaller garage knowing I have to get temps and ventilation up.

Gooch

Sorry I made so many threads, and I did see that the polyurethane that I used says "dry times are based on 77 degrees fahrenheit and 50 percent humidity and moderate air circulation" I also did contact the company just now about my situation. So I am planning on setting up the enclosure on friday or saturday as i have already had it sitting in my room with a fan for two days. Wish me the best! I hope this works and my tortoise (and my leopard gecko, who is in the same room as my tortoise is in, he might get exposed to fumes. DONT WORRY! Seperate cages!) will stay healthy and safe. Thanks for all your help guys! (I will probably still be nagging on about some other topic soon)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sorry I made so many threads, and I did see that the polyurethane that I used says "dry times are based on 77 degrees fahrenheit and 50 percent humidity and moderate air circulation" I also did contact the company just now about my situation. So I am planning on setting up the enclosure on friday or saturday as i have already had it sitting in my room with a fan for two days. Wish me the best! I hope this works and my tortoise (and my leopard gecko, who is in the same room as my tortoise is in, he might get exposed to fumes. DONT WORRY! Seperate cages!) will stay healthy and safe. Thanks for all your help guys! (I will probably still be nagging on about some other topic soon)
I hope you also will stay healthy and safe in that room where you can't keep the door open to air it out. Sheeesh. Good luck!

Gooch

@TammyJ Oops! Forgot to mention that I can keep my door open because I can keep my cat downstairs out of my room :D

Gooch

@Markw84 Sorry to bug you again. Would my enclosure just not be safe for my tort because of the fumes or is it that the soil will stick to the wood? I am thinking of putting down the plastic shower liner

Gooch

@Markw84 Sorry to bug you again. Would my enclosure just not be safe for my tort because of the fumes or is it that the soil will stick to the wood? I am thinking of putting down the plastic shower liner
UPDATE: The table is dry to the touch and the fumes in my room have gone down quite a bit, but they are still there. Should I play it safe and wait until thursday or friday or later to put my tortoise in there? Thanks for all your help guys. @Markw84 @stevenf625 @Yvonne G @Stuart S. sorry if I forgot somebody

Gooch

ANOTHER UPDATE: I moved the table out of my room into the hallway so it is warmer and better air circulation. Please let me know when I should put my tortoise in there. It is dry to the touch now.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
ANOTHER UPDATE: I moved the table out of my room into the hallway so it is warmer and better air circulation. Please let me know when I should put my tortoise in there. It is dry to the touch now.
The fact that it feels dry is a good sign. It will take a while for it to be scent free depending on whether the poly was water or oil based.
I would guess that if you judge the level of smell to be 1/3rd of what it was Monday night it would be ok for tortoise assuming the enclosure is open on top.

Gooch

The fact that it feels dry is a good sign. It will take a while for it to be scent free depending on whether the poly was water or oil based.
I would guess that if you judge the level of smell to be 1/3rd of what it was Monday night it would be ok for tortoise assuming the enclosure is open on top.
Yes it feels dry. I used water based poly. It is almost hard to tell if the smell is still there because just have a fan on it and the smell is spread out through the house. It is open topped. When I actually put my nose on the table and I smell it, it doesn't smell bad at all.