Help... Tortoise or Turtle

Lee Buddle

I have recently found this Tortoise/Turtle whilst out on the street. PLEASE could somebody confirm if it's a Tortoise of Turtle.
Many thanks Lee...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a turtle. I can't tell what kind without seeing more of him, face legs.
If it turns out to be native to your area, he should be put back where you found him, just not on the road.
Do a google search to see if you can ID it by comparing pictures if you can't get more pics of him to post here.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Lee Buddle and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

That's a turtle but I don't know what species either. Sorry.

A cute one, whatever kind it turns out to be. ;)

Ed mitch

That's a tortoise, if you could give us more photos we may be able to tell you what species

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That turtle needs water and a heat source for basking ASAP.

Lee Buddle

We've got him in a box with a shallow pot (10mm deep) of water & under a radiator that is on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a tortoise, if you could give us more photos we may be able to tell you what species

No, it's not a tortoise. It's a mud turtle and judging from his eyes, he's been out of water for a very, very long time. He needs to be in water immediately. Not just a pot of water near him, he needs to be put into a bucket of water where it covers his shell.

Ed mitch

No, it's not a tortoise. It's a mud turtle and judging from his eyes, he's been out of water for a very, very long time. He needs to be in water immediately. Not just a pot of water near him, he needs to be put into a bucket of water where it covers his shell.
Haha meant to put turtle but it went to tortoise through autocorrect

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
If you don't have a fish tank or aquarium, fill a storage bin halfway up with water and add a large rock or something so the turtle can rest out of the water if it wants. They aren't great swimmers like a slider turtle but they do like enough water to swim and not just walk in.

Berkeley

It is one of the African Sidenecks, and if I had to guess, it would be the Helmeted Terrapin, Pelomedusa subrufa. It is an aquatic species, and it looks to be pretty dehydrated and in need of some attention. I would put it in some shallow water (no deeper than its shell) until it starts to get its wits about it, and then see how it responds.

Good luck,
--Berkeley

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There's lots of neat things you can get an aquatic turtle IF you decide to keep him. Once you've found a good size tank and full it a little over his shell, you can add a floating dock, river rocks, and a good filtering system. But, if I were you, after you've got him well hydrated, I would locate a water source close to where you found him, and return him back to his natural habitat. It doesn't seem to me that this turtle was a captive and returning him to his natural habitat would be the kindest thing to do. That's just my opinion.

Berkeley

But, if I were you, after you've got him well hydrated, I would locate a water source close to where you found him, and return him back to his natural habitat. It doesn't seem to me that this turtle was a captive and returning him to his natural habitat would be the kindest thing to do. That's just my opinion.

Unless Lee is in Africa, this turtle is not a native and should not be released. It was a captive that was either released or escaped. Lee said 'whilst' in the original post, so I am betting that they are probably not in Africa.

If you don't want to keep it, contact a rescue or nature center near you, or ask any friends that keep turtles if they are interested in taking it on.

Good luck,
--Berkeley

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Berkeley, you're ID is 100% on point. I got excited when I first saw the post, thinking someone might say Pelusios, and I'd get to correct them. This is a nice looking Pelomedusa, for sure.

Berkeley

Berkeley, you're ID is 100% on point. I got excited when I first saw the post, thinking someone might say Pelusios, and I'd get to correct them. This is a nice looking Pelomedusa, for sure.

Ha ha! Thanks Anthony. :)

--Berkeley