Help!! Tortoise has oiled himself up

CJ.

Hello, I own a Desert Tortoise by the name of Michelangelo. I've had Mickey since I was a young boy he was a hatching. Today he's about 12 years old. Recently he had wandered to under my grill in my back yard. He's never done this before, I actually had to fish him out myself. Once I had grabbed him I noticed he was covered in oils.. I know the oils can't be good but I can't seem to remove them.. they have been lingering on his shell for the past three months; set through hibernation. I have been able to remove some of the oils but it still feels the stuff is nearly unremoveable. Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
are we talking about grease or motor oil?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They use Dawn dish soap on seals n such when there is an oil spill. Seems like it would work. Rinse well obviously. I am curious to see what others with more experience than me will say.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It would have been from the bottom of the grill, underneath so I'm guessing it's grease.
sarcasm? All right grease from a BBQ should come off with soap and water that's what I use when I get grease on my hands

Reactions: CJ.

CJ.

They use Dawn dish soap on seals n such when there is an oil spill. Seems like it would work. Rinse well obviously. I am curious to see what others with more experience than me will say.
I've actually used some on the guy, I just can't seem to get the stuff fully removed

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Either Dawn or baby shampoo. Put it on, add a bit of water and scrub it with a brush. Let it sit there for a while for the soap to break down the grease, then scrub again and rinse.