help! Russian tortoise has cut on eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
it must have happened last night sometime. i believe he just scratched his eye to make the initial cut
but he continues to do it. the pictures are after i cleaned it and applied triple antibiotic ointment. any other steps i should take?

Attachments

• IMG_20121201_141536_964.jpg
    IMG_20121201_141536_964.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20121201_141528_241.jpg
    IMG_20121201_141528_241.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I don't know much of anything, but I've heard to place a tort with a cut in some sort of "hospital" enclosure with no loose substrate. Wait for others. What you've done sounds right. Just keep it clean.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
stinax182 said:
it must have happened last night sometime. i believe he just scratched his eye to make the initial cut
but he continues to do it. the pictures are after i cleaned it and applied triple antibiotic ointment. any other steps i should take?

Is your concern the red enflamed area above the eye or what appears to be a line or a scratch going down the eye ball. (Enlarge 2nd picture to see clearly)?

By the way, nice detail and focus on the 2nd picture.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi stinax182:

I don't think that's a cut. It looks like some sort of irritation to the mucous membrane. See if you can get some eye ointment from your vet. This is what it looks like:

eyeointment.jpg

This stuff works wonders on eye problems, but its hard to get in the stores anymore. The last couple times I've bought it I had to order it online.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
will i recently discovered my 2 Russian males are fighting.

i assumed the cut was either from himself scratching, the other one scratching him or possible sharp points on the plastic shoe boxes.

but after observing them today, they've become more hostile towards each other. so I've separated them for good.

knowing that, do you still believe it's an infection?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
stinax182 said:
will i recently discovered my 2 Russian males are fighting.

i assumed the cut was either from himself scratching, the other one scratching him or possible sharp points on the plastic shoe boxes.

but after observing them today, they've become more hostile towards each other. so I've separated them for good.

knowing that, do you still believe it's an infection?

Russians dont do well together. You learned this the hard way. Try the stuff Yvonne mentioned. Better safe than sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I didn't say "infection," I said irritation. Yes, it still could be irritated mucous membrane. But even if it isn't an irritation, the ointment will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.