Help! Rescued Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I rescued this turtle today from a group of kids who had been keeping in a pet store box for like four days. Just offering it drinks of water out of a bowl. Here's a picture.
IMG_20130331_150219.jpg

I'm just not sure what it is. I know its a? Water turtle but what kind? I don't know when it ate last or what to feed it. I paid kids $20.00 I figured if it would save its life. Can someone please tell me what it is and explain how I should take care of it, untilled I can find a permanent home for it. The kids told me it was female bit yet they had no idea what type of turtle it is.:dodgy:

Jd3

5 Year Member
Red eared slider. Search there and you'll find info. They require a rather large aquarium or better a pond.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
@ JD -Okay Thanks can you please tell me how to take care of it? I need to place her asap. Does it need to be in water constantly?

Jd3

5 Year Member
I had a long reply but the app force closed. Check out the care sheets here:
http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/res.html

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364769936.273626.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364769945.519597.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364769952.857355.jpg

Some quick examples I found. Large water volume with a dry basking platform and basking light. He's a big guy. I'd guess he was wild caught. Did they say? He may be better off being released. Where are you located? If they caught him a few days ago then I'd say return him to the wild....

These guys do best in large outdoor ponds or very large aquariums.

Last edited by a moderator:

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Actually it was bought at a pet store. It was given to them by a lady that had it like 2 years they say. Its very pretty but I'm totally unprepared for it. I'm in San Antonio, Texas. I just felt horrible for the little thing being in that box for so long. I'm thinking of putting it on craigslist. I just want it to be taken care of. What do they eat?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
google it or go read turtle care sheets.. they have to be IN water to eat... they are VERY prevelant in rescues.. dime a dozen...

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks. Well I'm just glad I got it. I'm going to try to rehome soon. I haven't seen it eat but I'm hoping it does soon. Seems healthy. Thanks for all the help.:)

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
It's definitely a pretty female, and it's going to get a lot bigger. Be prepared to keep it for quite a while, as they're very commonly gotten rid of once people realize just how big a female RES can get. Think 125 gallon tank, minimum, with heavy duty filtration.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Oh my, I would love to keep her but its just not an option. I wish someone in Texas wanted to adopt her. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.